Help with purchasing first drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rather then having special under garments I just use sweatshirts and other closes to layer, if its really cold a snow suit mainly as I can not justify the amount they are asking for special undergarments.

I am going to pick on this for a minute.

The value in an undergarment is not that it keeps you warm when it's dry. It's what happens when things go WRONG that expensive undergarments are worth their weight in gold. If you dive in cold water, and if you dive in a drysuit, one thing is inevitable. That suit WILL leak at some point. And if you are wearing "sweats" or some other cotton or poor undergarment, you will be at severe risk for hypothermia or other issues.

If you are going to spend $1k, $1500, or $2k on a drysuit, spend a couple hundred bucks on a REAL undergarment. I sometimes wear sweats or other things, but that's in warm water where a full suit flood would not cause me any significant discomfort. I'd NEVER do it in cold water.

-P

Hi, none of your questions are stupid all questions are good the more informed you are the better decisions you will make. I just bought a DUI flx 50/50 I like it because half is trilaminate and the other half crushed neoprene, I went to DUI Demo day and got to try on the suit that made the difference for me I've tried out some other suits that friends lent me and liked this one the best. Also take the course it is so helpful. I bought the Tusa fin size small and it fits nicely over rock boots or even soft boots because of the deep pockets, great fin. If you don't like the rock boots you can also wear a bigger size bootie over the dry suit sock and may be able to fit into your split fins try it out. The best way is to try things out before you make a purchase. Good luck! Christine

I just purchased a DUI CLX450 and will be signing up for a drysuit class. I will give you feedback as I complete the course.

MG

The value in an undergarment is not that it keeps you warm when it's dry. It's what happens when things go WRONG that expensive undergarments are worth their weight in gold. If you dive in cold water, and if you dive in a drysuit, one thing is inevitable. That suit WILL leak at some point. And if you are wearing "sweats" or some other cotton or poor undergarment, you will be at severe risk for hypothermia or other issues.

If you are going to spend $1k, $1500, or $2k on a drysuit, spend a couple hundred bucks on a REAL undergarment. I sometimes wear sweats or other things, but that's in warm water where a full suit flood would not cause me any significant discomfort. I'd NEVER do it in cold water.

-P

To add to that...

A drysuit isn't just a drysuit. It is part of a system. In order for the drysuit system to work properly, you should purchase the undergarment that is designed to wear with the suit, especially if you purchase a shell suit. You will be more comfortable, stay warmer and as PF said, if the suit fails, you won't become hypothermic.

1st - Get Dry Suit certified...
2nd rent some suits, as many diffrent types as you can
or dry suit demo days, DUI and White do them all over the country - I woulod be willing to bet that others do it as well.

How much dry suit diving are you going to do?

These are excellent suggestions for the OP, especially since he's got so few dives under his belt. :)

A drysuit will perform much better if it's a good fit, meaning just large enough to allow good range of movement while wearing the thickest insulation you expect to use.

You can improve your chances of getting the right suit by test diving or or least trying on different sizes and/or models while having an experienced drysuit diver advise you.

It's a big investment and it's worth the effort find the suit you'll be happy with for a long time. :D

Good luck!

Dave C

I know it will probably vary depending on who is using the suit, but what is the best type of zipper, rear or front or any other type zipper?

I know it will probably vary depending on who is using the suit, but what is the best type of zipper, rear or front or any other type zipper?

Because it mostly lays flat and straight, a rear (shoulder) zipper will probably last a bit longer than a diagonal front self-donning zipper.

Rear zipper suits can be less expensive, too.

However, I find self-donning very convenient since I mostly dive solo.

Dave C

Hi There,

Everyone so far has posted some great advice for you to make an informed decision on purchasing your first drysuit.

To summarize, the most desired features in a drysuit are usually fit, flexibility, streamlining and price.

The best advice that I have seen posted is to do your homework. I would encourage you to check out the following link:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ex...ites-fusion-drysuit-say-goodbye-cave-cut.html

This is a thread on Scubaboard called "Goodbye cave cut" and I think that you may find it very informative.

Good Luck,

Justin Balaski
Whites Manufacturing Ltd.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom