Oxycheq Mach V Signature 18 lb

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Serge

New
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi Folks,

This is my first post on Scubaboard. I wanted to check what the size / weight difference is between the 18 lb and 30 lb Mach V Signature Wings? Can any tell me the dimensions / weight?

Also, and I know the site says it, but I want to confirm that the 18 lb wing has an inner bladder. I spoke with a distributor not too long ago and he told me there wasn't. Just want to be sure.

Cheers,
Serge

I asked about specs for different wings and back when the Mach V Sig Series 30 came out, I was told it was about 26" long and 16.5" wide (max) when empty, and about 24.75" long and 13.5" wide (max) when fully inflated. Of course, the design may or may not, have changed slightly. I don't have the figures for the 18# version, but I think DwainT posted it somewhere. iirc, he said the mach v extreme 30 was lighter than the mach v sig series 18 because the extreme material was lighter.

Also, not to hijack (sort of similar question), but if anyone has the specs (or could measure them) on the recently discontinued Mach V Razor 18#, I'd like to know those too, or how it compares to the DSS 17# Tropical Travel wing (TTW). In particular, does the mach v razor 18 have gussets on the inside (tank side) and outside of the wing like the 30# version? what's the length and (max) width (when empty)?

I finally got my Mach V Signature 18 lb wing! And I guess I answered my own questions. The wing is extremely compact, very streamlined, and as advertised with an inner bladder (unlike what a distributor told me). I will be testing it out in about 2 weeks on the 7 Skies Wreck. I can't wait.

One thing I noticed was that the inner bladder folds over a bit at the top and bottom of the wing, i.e. it does not expand completely inside the wing at these spots. Does this not cause stress at these points with continuous inflation / deflation over time? Anyone have experience with this?

I will have my chance to test the wing out soon so I will get back with my thoughts (for those interested).

Cheers.

I finally got my Mach V Signature 18 lb wing! And I guess I answered my own questions. The wing is extremely compact, very streamlined, and as advertised with an inner bladder (unlike what a distributor told me). I will be testing it out in about 2 weeks on the 7 Skies Wreck. I can't wait.

One thing I noticed was that the inner bladder folds over a bit at the top and bottom of the wing, i.e. it does not expand completely inside the wing at these spots. Does this not cause stress at these points with continuous inflation / deflation over time? Anyone have experience with this?

I will have my chance to test the wing out soon so I will get back with my thoughts (for those interested).

Cheers.

1. I think the outer shell of wings tends to stretch slightly when wet (like cam straps), or at least over time they loosen up.

2. Most divers don't fully inflate their wings while diving - at maybe only at the surface... If you fill it up to let it dry (to get the water inside bladder out faster), just let out a little air out so that there's no stress on the seams.

3. Could you tell me the max width and length, when it's lying flat and empty on the floor. I have a spreadsheet somewhere for stuff like that...

4. If the inner bladder is too large for the outer shell, I imagine it might develop wrinkles during the dive that could reduce the easy of transferring gas inside, but it might not even be noticeable; or your inner bladder may not even be too large once the outer bladder is wet and worn a little.

edit: just to clarify, i'm not associated with oxycheq - didn't notice this thread was in the oxycheq forum until I had posted...

1. I think the outer shell of wings tends to stretch slightly when wet (like cam straps), or at least over time they loosen up.

Hello Floater...

The Signature Series Sing (Vertex or Mach V) do not stretch like conventional wings. Inside the outer shell is 5 ounces of Urethane... it does not allow for stretching when used as it was designed for.. if it does stretch it is no minimal that it is not noticeable.

Also, the most recent version if the inner bladder is now 26.5 mil instead of the 25 mil as before. Didn't change the weight (unless you are speaking of grams) it just increased the durability of the inner bladder.

Also, each of the bladders is match for the outer shell. This keeps air from trapping and keep the outer shell from taking the brunt of inflation or over inflation.

There are companies that use a single size inner bladder for various outer shells. This cause trapping of air & premature wear on the outer seams. Once the seams stretch they tend to allow small particulates (sand and other) to get through the holes. Once theses particulates are inside the seams it acts as sand paper overtime... eventually getting in between the shell and inner bladder to cause increased wear on it too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom