What BP/W set up are you using?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Apeks WTX Harness system with a DiveRite Venture 30lb wing. Great system.

What tanks have you used with the Vertex 55 and Evolve 60 wings?

I have only used LP108s with the Vertex, but I have used LP108s and AL80s with the Evolve (didn't take an extra wing). Surprisingly, the AL80s behaved ok with the big Evolve wing though it was clearly not ideal.

I also had a DSS Torus 42, or an earlier version of it, Torus 45, to be precise, that I later sold because it was too rear biased in lift for me personally. I switched to an H Evolve 40, which was significantly longer (~4" more empty), narrower, rounder (no rear bias), and had a wider rear arc; all characteristics I personally like. The H Evolve 60 seems different from the Vertex 55 in those same characteristics (just going by pics and what I've read), except the Vertex is the narrower wing in this case, and less rear biased than the Torus 45, though I'm guess (by pics) that it has more reat bias than the Evolve 60 (right?).

I found that I when I used my LP108s with the Evolve 60, I liked to have 4# or so in a tailweight. The Vertex needed nothing. I felt the overall balance was better, the dump valve was easier to get to, and it "felt" better to me. Clearly this is all subjective. Nothing on it made me want to sell my Evolve and buy the Vertex, but if I ever trashed the Evolve, the Vertex 55 would jump to the top of the list.

So I'm wondering, was it just the narrower profile and ~10# smaller bag size* that made the difference for you, or did you also like the shorter body and narrower rear arc of the Vertex? Did you use it with short or long tanks?

Answered above.

Does your assessment above also include the Golem 55 Ring Wing? It looks like my H Evolve 40 in terms of shape:

It does not. The Golem was not available when I did my tests. Though we are a Golem dealer, we don't really get wings from them. And Golem was not at the NSSCDS convention this summer, so I have not seen the new wings. I hope to see them this fall at the NACD convention.

Basically, I wondering if the Golem 55 Ring Wing is basically an in-between version of the two Evolves? (If you have a chance to try that, PM me your thoughts on it).

Will do. Not sure if I can get a demo of one or not.

I currently Dive a Halcyon Eclipse 30lb with SS BP. My 10yo son is diving a DSS SM SS BP with a 20lb wing and I am very impressed with the quality of the DSS Stuff and Tobin was a great help I placed the order and he immediately called to make sure that is what I needed.

I just made the switch to a BP/W setup.
Was going to eventually anyway, but just did it now because I got a brand new setup for a killer price...

Zeagle alu plate, w/deluxe harness and the weight/trim pockets to go with it.

Will break it in shortly! And it will see some action in the Similans. :)

Am happy to get the Zeagle, as I'll be able to mix and match parts and single/double wings from my other Zeagle setups relatively hassle free, depending on where and what I'm diving.

I have a DSS rig.

SS backplate. Torus 26 Wing. Hog harness.

Halcyon SS BP and harness with Eclipse 30# single wing; just purchased alloy Halcyon BP for travel (lighter), and to be able to add some (ditchable) weight

Also use a friend's OMS twin rig

Would highly recommend both for performance & quality, have heard/read too many customer service horror stories to buy OMS gear though :(

I don't think I need anymore names at this point. If there is a company/brand that hasn't been mentioned and you want to throw it in that would be cool, I'm still monitoring this thread.
Okay. I have a Fred T backplate. One of the finest quality pieces of gear I've ever bought.

FredT

Thanks for the feedback.

I have only used LP108s with the Vertex, but I have used LP108s and AL80s with the Evolve (didn't take an extra wing).

The LP108s are same length as AL80 Luxfers, but wider - so good to know a shorter wing works fine with them too.

I found that I when I used my LP108s with the Evolve 60, I liked to have 4# or so in a tailweight. The Vertex needed nothing. I felt the overall balance was better, the dump valve was easier to get to, and it "felt" better to me. Clearly this is all subjective. Nothing on it made me want to sell my Evolve and buy the Vertex, but if I ever trashed the Evolve, the Vertex 55 would jump to the top of the list.

I suppose (speculate) that though the Evolve 60 may be neutral in the sense that it's widest at the center and very symmetric, so as it fills up, the center of lift will remain at the middle of the wing (where widest), for a diver in horizontal trim. However, since the wing is so long, it's middle tends to be a few inches further down than the middle of shorter wings like the Vertex (provided the top of each wing is at the same level), or alternatively, not that much further up than center of lift of the Vertex which is wider towards the rear.

However, as the Vertex fills up, there's less room for air at the back (below where wing is widest) than towards the front, so the fuller the wing, the further up its center of lift, maybe even further up than with the longer Evolve 60 if sufficiently full. If the LP108's are top heavy when full, but become less so (relative to rest of the tank) as they empty, then the Vertex type shape might be a bonus I guess- to offset the shift in the balance of the tanks as they become progressively lighter. Obviously with AL80's the reverse is true; they become increasing more butt light as they empty, so I suppose it's no wonder I had my own difficulties with a rear biased wing while diving them...

I recently started penetrating wrecks. I've been using jacket style BCDs. I see a lot of benefit to switching to a BP/W but I don't even know were to begin.

Let me know what your set up is just so I have the names and combinations to start my research. If you want to tell me what you like/dislike about it that would be great too but searching BP/W brings up WAY too many results. I'm hoping a search for different brands will help narrow down the results.

Thanks,
Darrell

I would go for an Agir Brokk SS backplate and their Blackbird 36lb wing. I use one and so far it's been flawless. I think Salvo Supply in Florida deals them, as well as a whole bunch of other people

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom