Personal Dive Boats

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Knucklehead

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Who has one? Is it worth it in SoCal? I just sold my 18' BBC powered jet boat and swore I would never own another boat again. I'm just getting back into diving and now here I find myself browsing craiglist for a boat suitable for diving:shakehead:

I see myself wanting to get out to catalina once a month for the weekend. So I would like something with a cabin that sleep 2-4 people. I think this would make trips to catalina pretty affortable especially if cost of gas could be split with another person or two. My question is would I be able to get any use out of this boat for local dives along our coast? Or would an inflatable be more suited to this?

It depends on the type of diving you do and how willing you are to beach dive. When I had my last boat I dived mainy on the wrecks between San Pedro and Huntington Beach. I also enjoy the offshore reefs that the commercial boats never go to. Owning a boat allows you to dive wherever and whenever you want. I prefer to go out early in the morning and get in a couple of dives before the afternoon wind kick in. I would usually be finished washing my gear and boat, filling tanks and downloading pictures hours before the commercial boats would even get back in.

I think a boat is worth it especially if you can overnight on it, in a way that pays for a trip to catalina because you dont have to hotel it. I like boat diving much better than beach especially in the palos verdes area where those hills will kick your butt plus some sites dont have access. Inflatables are nice for local dives but you would be limited, I dont like really like leaving my gear in the open like you would have to in an inflatable I prefer leaving it in a cabin.

ahh, I too have been suffering from boat fever for quite some time know. I think there is only one cure. The time for boat buying is now... economy in the dumps, gas is expensive it's time to spend some money!

ahh, I too have been suffering from boat fever for quite some time know. I think there is only one cure. The time for boat buying is now... economy in the dumps, gas is expensive it's time to spend some money!

You are right about that. I've been finding some awesome deals on boats. I have found some real steals on boats that need a little work or new engines ect.. Bonues are coming this month, but I already have it slated to a new travel trailer since my desert racing addiction takes us to the desert 3 or 4 weekends a month. But I'm hoping there will be enought left to pick up one of these deals on a suitable boat to transform to a diving / fishing boat.

There are lots of boat that need some work available in Texas too, just need the insurance companies to auction them off...

Yes, Yes Yes....But don't stop there. There is no nobility "at all" in showing up to the dive site with the latest tec diving, D.I.R., or other top line SCUBA gear if you don't have your own boat (decked out for diving) “and” a new four wheel drive to tow it. Do it and post the picture. You’ll be the hero of all of ScubaBoard!

How's this for toys?
xanadu_600x450.jpg

Yes, Yes Yes....But don't stop there. There is no nobility "at all" in showing up to the dive site with the latest tec diving, D.I.R., or other top line SCUBA gear if you don't have your own boat (decked out for diving) “and” a new four wheel drive to tow it. Do it and post the picture. You’ll be the hero of all of ScubaBoard!
of course, and i will call you first!

Back
Top Bottom