Substrobe 200 battery pack question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dzscubie

Contributor
Reaction score
Back in El Paso, Texas with my Buddy (wife)
Hi guys,

My question is this. I bought a complete Ikelite housing, Substrobe 200, attachments and Ikelite pelican box at an estate sale a few months ago. The strobe does not have the charger with it and the battery pack is dead. I want to buy a charger...BUT... I don't know if my battery pack is Nicad or the new NiMH pack. I would think the battery pack would have it marked but it dosen't. :confused6: The markings are as follows:
Substrobe 200 battery Pack #9462.5
7.2V – 2800m/hr Battery
Charge Times:
Charger #0083.8 = 2.5 hours
Charger #0083.9 = 8 hours
Charger #0083.91= 8 hours
Does anyone know how to tell nicad from the NiMH?

Thanks,
Shawn

you have the older nicad battery packs and will need the older charger.

Thanks Bigfrog, this saves me money as I can use my wifes charger for her Sunstrobe when I get home and don't have to buy one of the new ones.

Shawn

Well, got the charger and put the battery pack on to charge. So far the charge light on the charger does not light up, the green power light on the charger blinks and the red light on the battery pack blinks.. The battery does not charge so I guess the battery pack is dead. Do I throw away the battery pack and buy a new one or can I replace the batteries in the pack?

Shawn
"bubble,,,bubble,,,bubble"

just go on ebay and pic up a new old stile battery back it will save you like 300 bucks because you can just use that same charger you already have. the harder but still fairly simple solution is to replace the batteries in the battery pack with new ones its is still cheeper though to just get one off ebay though.

Thanks Bigfrog, my wife is the photographer in the family. I just wanted to try my hand at it to see what she is so hooked on. If I understand why she gets so much enjoyment out of taking pictures then I think I can be a better husband and buddy. Don't make fun of me for being "sensitive", I just know which side my bread is buttered.

Shawn
"bubble,,,bubble,,,bubble"

Does anyone have sources for the matal tabs and adhesives to put these battery packs together? I have an old 200 and dusted if off to try a new project. One battery is good, one is dead. I am considering replacing the cells in the dead unit. Will need small parts, the batteries are the easy part.
Thanks
Jim

Ikelite offers an exchange on the pack and charger. The charger upgrade would be from the old smart charger to the new 4066.1 charger for $50.00. The pack exchange is $125.00 instead of the retail price of $175.00 for the NIMH pack.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom