DUI Drysuits. Are they worth the money?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DUI makes good suits. I know a lot of people that dive them, and love them. However, in my experience, I haven't been all that impressed.

Got a custom 450clx. Never fit right. For being a custom, the top was way too big. The suit itself was very heavy. I was also not offered any kind of package deal with it. I was nickeled and dimed for everything.

Sent it back because the valve leaked. The socks leaked and repaired them myself. Not a fan of zipseals at all. They are NOT cheaper than regular seals. The neck seal alone retails for over $120. I had two of them and both lasted less than 50 dives each. Most dive centers can replace a regular neck seal for under $100.

Sold the suit to my sister. She dove it for a while then discovered the Whites Fusion and hasn't dove the DUI since. I have a Seasoft Ti3000 (summer, no dry gloves) and Diving Concepts Pinnicle 200 (with drygloves). Both are custom, fit me perfectly and keep me extremely warm. They weight a lot less (even for being neoprene) and the both cost me about $500 less than the DUI. Both suits have more than 100 dives each and no problems with neckseals. I bought both suits before the Fusion came out, and since both my suits are in good condition, with no signs of dying, it will be a while before I get one.

DUI makes good suits. I know a lot of people that dive them, and love them. However, in my experience, I haven't been all that impressed.

Got a custom 450clx. Never fit right. For being a custom, the top was way too big. The suit itself was very heavy. I was also not offered any kind of package deal with it. I was nickeled and dimed for everything.

Sent it back because the valve leaked. The socks leaked and repaired them myself. Not a fan of zipseals at all. They are NOT cheaper than regular seals. The neck seal alone retails for over $120. I had two of them and both lasted less than 50 dives each. Most dive centers can replace a regular neck seal for under $100.

Sold the suit to my sister. She dove it for a while then discovered the Whites Fusion and hasn't dove the DUI since. I have a Seasoft Ti3000 (summer, no dry gloves) and Diving Concepts Pinnicle 200 (with drygloves). Both are custom, fit me perfectly and keep me extremely warm. They weight a lot less (even for being neoprene) and the both cost me about $500 less than the DUI. Both suits have more than 100 dives each and no problems with neckseals. I bought both suits before the Fusion came out, and since both my suits are in good condition, with no signs of dying, it will be a while before I get one.

Sounds like whoever measured you for the suit did a poor job, and then didn't put any effort into getting it fixed for you. It was also the seller/LDS's responsibility to let you know about the availability of any "add-ons" or package deals. I have 2 DUI suits and couldn't be happier with their quality except for their weak wrist seals (and this is a known problem with DUI). I agree with you as to the cost and function of the zip-seals.

I have a TLS 350 Signature Series (custom fitted). I have been thrilled with it! Sure it was pricey, but now I'm warm & comfortable.

Me too. I like the suit and except for a few little spots that no one other than me seems to notice it is like new after three years.

Steve

Im busting at the seams!!
Waiting for my new CF200 signature to come in that is. This will be my first and hopefully last dry suit purchase. Perfect timing for the winter diving season. No more vintage (circa 1978) 5 mil beaver tail jacket for me. Ill post back when I make the 200 mile trip to pick it up.

I've had my CF200 for about 8 years now and it hasnt failed me yet. what actually sold me to their dry suit was the rock boots. they were the first ones to have the rock bots and it makes a big difference on the way you dive. i dont ahve to worry about air getting in the foot wells because its tight. their customer service has been a great help as well. The only thing about dry suits, specifically custom sizes, you have to maintain your weight as much as possible.

I own a DUI TLS350 and love it.
I brought it to their shop in San Diego to check the fit on the forearms. They are going to fix the problem in a week.:D

(BTW San Diego is a very nice city, I have visited the aircraft carrier Midway, I could imagine going trough the Oriskany, a real maze, would not want to get lost in there with no viz and no line out.:shocked2:)

I opted for the regular wrists and neck seals. I would suggest to the OP to reconsider the zipseals. He won't need dry gloves in the Philippines and I believe those bing rings are more of a hindrance in gearing up and manipulating dog clips and equipment.

I was hooked on dry suit diving at a DUI DOG days. After much research I purchased Bare - 3 actually, 2 for me and one for my son. The way I looked at it - DUI is the Harley of dry suits - you pay extra for the lifestyle. The DOG stuff is a great idea. Bare is the Honda Gold Wing - an exceptionally well executed product that does not include the lifestyle or the extra cost of said lifestyle. Both great products with different membership costs.

Hi all,
Thank you all for your input. I guess my question for everyone is this. What other options are there that will do both tropical diving (Philippines) which I will do alot more of since I live here now? But, I would still like the option of diving colder waters. I don't wont to bake in the sun too much during surface intervals. That's why I was looking at the Explorer 30/30. The other suit that I was looking at first was the White's Fusion. Any advice or suggestions on other options?
Thank you again,
Kurt

Hi Kurt,

The Whites Fusion honestly seems like it would be a great choice for you for a number of reasons.

First of all, the suit is form fitting and is the most flexible, streamlined drysuit on the market. Becasue of the nature of the Fusion Dry Core Technology, you can layer up or down as much as you want and the suit will still fit you the same.

For example, we took the Fusion to the Cayman Islands in 82 degree water and used a light wicking underlayer. The next week we came back to Victoria B.C. and used the Fusion in 42 degree water with a heavy duty undergarment system and the suit fit the same. This would be ideal for your diving at home, and on your trips to Alaska.

The self doning of the Fusion is also ideal in between dives as you can simply unzip yourself and pop off the top to cool down.

Cheers,

Justin Balaski

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom