Oriskany Question/Other Local Sites

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

msubryan

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I currently dive a lot on the rigs off of the MS coast primarily spear fishing. I have made a couple of dives in Pensacola (Avaset/Russion Freighter) from a friends boat. My brother is coming to town and we are going out in my 22' pursuit without a bottom machine. I have a GPS and that should get me really close to a wreck, but would like to have a back up spot in case we fail to locate the wrecks that we are looking for.

2 questions

1) Does Oriskany have mooring Bouys available (I really dont want to drop anchor there with Divers in water)

2) Is there any wrecks in 60-100' of water with a mooring bouy or marker bouy?

We are planning to make 5-6 dives this weekend in the area. Would like to dive out of personal boat, but if not able to, will charter on sunday to Big O.

Thanks!!!

Yes. Several bouys mark the Oriskany
Yes. The Chevron (a couple of donated oil rig towers located 2 miles from the oriskany) has one dontated by a local Captain and member of this board (Bludvr). Bottom is 138, but the top of one platform is 80 ft; the platform on the other one is 100. Look for the bouy in about 15-20 feet of water. The last time I dove it about 3 weeks ago, we saw a Goliath on it, so I hope he's still there for you.

Make sure you have good numbers. Some of them are a little off.

Good luck, and have fun!

I hear the ship settled 10 feet deeper after the last hurricane .. so does that put the buoys at 25-30 feet below the surface?

Thanks for the heads up..I have numbers for the Big O, Actually have 2 sets..could you give me the real Numbers for both of those sites?

How are the seas most days in pensacola?

Is it cool to just leave the pass and go straight to the numbers or do you need to follow channel out?

22 foot Cuddy is plenty big enough huh?

single engine 22 footer is borderline on a 20 mile trip in the gulf. you can always luck out with good seas, but if the opposite happens, it's a hard wet ride back in.

you might want to check out ft. pickens on an incoming tide. plenty of stuff to see, and a shorter boat ride.

As of Tuesday, the shallowest bouy that I checked on the Oriskany was at 40'. I only checked two. If someone else has better info please correct me. Most of the Pensacola Dive Shops have coordinates on their web sites. Here is a hyperlink to the number of the Chevron Rig. NUMBERS4
It is a great dive as well. A lot of growth on it and a lot of life.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom