Where is the line between minding my own business?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wish there were a system by which we could flag dangerous divers so buddies in the future would be forewarned. There have definitely been situations I wish I could have avoided because of in-cognitive buddies (and while I was new enough to think this was the norm)

As I said previously and still stand by, you did the right thing given the information that has been provided to us. I have no reason to doubt you in any way. However with that said we have heard but one side of the story. I really do not believe it is fair or just to completely condemn this person as she is being in this thread with out knowing all the facts or having actually been there.

Again, not saying everything you have said is not 100% accurate but I'm sure as long as the web has been around and forums have existed we have all seen times when a person was trashed unjustly from someone on a vendetta. I used to frequent a sports forum where a lady was trashed beyond belief, everyone jumped on the band wagon from listening to one side of the story. The OP was so convincing she had people ready to drive to the ladies place and beat the living snot out of her. In the end it turned out to be over some personal issue having nothing to do with what was said.

Just saying.

Being fair is absolutely necessary, and judging while only hearing one part of the story is reprehensible. But in this case, I have personally read the thread the diver started on divebuddy.com.. just check out the forums and look for the thread "going down" that references the Cayman trip. Everything Jupitermermaid has said is corroborated by the accident victim herself. What blows me away absolutely is that she actually posted that comment about having gone up faster on previous dives, so this event with her air embo was purely "arbitrary". Amazing. I definitely would not want to dive with or around her.

Jupitermermaid, great job.. both with the rescue and for standing up and posting in that forum. I notice there are no buddies lining up... unless they are doing it by PM. Unfortunately, while experienced divers will be able to read between the lines and steer clear, I am not so sure of inexperienced divers/ newbies. I hope she does not rope one in!!!

You can always wonder if you did the right thing while she is alive and well and even talk to her later and mend things. If she dies because you said nothing at all would only leave a life time of regret that cant be undone. I am glad you think enough of your friend to do the right thing :)

I wish everybody had more dive buds like you,that would help out and care as much as you did,,good luck,,no worries,,if she cant respect the fact that your looking out for her well being,and best interest,,bye bye dive bud,,,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom