Hurricane damage Turks and Caicos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What a shame. I really loved Grand Turk. I hope that was the worst of the damage to the Mansion and Salt Raker. How did the Osprey fare? What about Manta House?

Mike

I was curious what happened to the cruise ship terminal, googled and found this:

"Rain and wind caused an estimated $5-$10 million in damage to the terminal and the grounds around it — ripping out some 500 palm trees that were planted just six months ago, Israel said. The pier itself, built to withstand a Category 5 storm, was unscathed."

Any idea which place this is?

That would be the Bohio...only hotel/dive operation on Pillory Beach. They probably won't be selling it for a while.

HI,

Im a working instructor on Provodenciales - we fared quite well we start diving again on Sunday - no damage to boats or staff!! we are hoping the reefs fared as well....

Yes Grand Turk got hit pretty hard - 85% PLUS of houses inc the hospital and prison wiped out...

I have friends on the island that I haven't heard from yet. Still no electricity there and may be without for 2 or 3 months. Heard they have set up a "tent city" for all of the folks that lost their homes or at least their rooves! I have seen some pictures after long searches online... HORRID! They really got hit hard! I used to go to GT year after year to dive... with Blue Water Divers and used to stay at The Osprey Beach Hotel on west side... where it seems they had a wall of water over 20 feet high. I also heard there were no deaths... but the island is demolished (buildings) to say the least... and I am sure with all of the debree... the reefs have had a hard hit as well! :( jenn

Last edited:
Mantahouse and Sandbar are is good shape with minimal damage. Salt Raker was hit pretty badly. You can't even recognize the place. Osprey has major damage as well. Turkshead Inn held up pretty well with minor roof damage. Island House had its roof ripped off..I had friends who were riding out Ike in Island House and kept switching rooms when the roof would fall in. Bohio's roof was destroyed. The British Navy is there now with supplies and relief. Not one person was injured or killed in Grand Turk during this horrific storm which is AMAZING! The island will be back...the people there have alot of heart and plan on rebuilding to make it better than ever. There are several relief organizations if you would like to donate anything--PM me. Grand Turk will not have electricity for about three more weeks so if you're trying to email etc...not everyone is up and able to receive emails quite yet. Cell phone is the best way to contact right now.

The cruise ship pier on the south end of the island where the ships come in was fine. Margaritaville had some damage but I do know that once the island gets on its feet again shortly-that will be operational as well. For those of you who know Mitch, Smitty, Dale, Everett, Tonya and Katya---they are all okay and are committed to repairing Grand Turk. Everyone is in great spirits despite this horrible hit by Ike.

Back
Top Bottom