Why train as a DiveMaster?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The hole nut in a shell here is if you have no intention of teaching then there no need to become a DM. The money you spend for the course would be better spenden taking specialtys courses that interest you.

Actually, if you want to work on a boat, you need to be a certified, insured DM. At least the ones I have been around. But, if you just want to dive, get better at it, etc, take a tech course that covers self reliance.
-J

Still, to me it is worth it, but, as it states you are 55, you might think about not working on a boat. That is not to be mean, as one of the best DMs I have know was 64. What it is though, is people's safe return to the boat on a bad day (pretty, flat, clear days rarely have that type of problem) may be dependent on your swimming 400 yds or more to catch a panicked diver, then helping to pull them back aboard to help with O2 or CPR or anything else. That can cause a lot of strain.

I recently did my DM along with several other candidates who were in their late teens and mid 20s. I'm in my late 40s. I beat almost all of them at the 400 yd swim, some by more than 5 minutes, and all of them in the tired diver tow. What do you think, someone who's 55 is going to be too weak to be a DM? That's a good one.

Well, it doesn't have to do with the age as much as the average person at 55. Most people in the US are very out of shape by that point. Period. To say otherwise is to lie. It also doesn't dawn on everyone that aside from boat operations, your job as a divemaster is to be a rescue swimmer, too. The best DM I have ever known- Roy Cowan- died of a heart attack after getting a diver back to the line. Those of us that knew Roy will tell you he never lost a diver. He had been a DM on boats for 20 years or so, VA beach, Morehead, you name it. He was not new to this, not new to rescuing divers. The older we get, the more of a pounding our bodies have taken over the years. And that is very impressive that you beat all those people. I was not meaning to insult anyone, just to lay the facts out there. I've never chased after a guest on a flat, no current day. 6 ft seas, ripping surface current, thats when I get to go for an extra swim. Or 2. The original poster was asking about being a DM, and employment ops after. If you had read my post fully, I mentioned another DM I know, Wells, who is 64. Honestly, I would send him off a boat before anyone else, including myself. He looks like a torpedo in the water. But, think about it- how many 64 year olds are like that. The original posters profile says he is 55. I don't know what type of shape he is in, but, I think it prudent to forewarn him that for a working DM on a boat, swimming is paramount. Any other boat DMs think differently?
By the way, what is the guitar in the pic- I have a Rameriz 1a (1997)
-J

My post was more tongue in cheek, I know you didn't mean to offend anybody, even us old geezers. While physical conditioning is an important part of any profession in which you might have to rescue someone in demanding conditions, experience, judgement, attitude, training, etc are much more important. And, endurance training is probably less age dependent than you think.

The guitar is a Tom Humphrey.

Matt- I got to play one of those- lattice work inside right? So jealous....I agree on the endurance, it was just along the lines of the shop I worked for never mentioned any of the harder side of being a DM.
-J

I am considering taking the DiveMaster training. Any thoughts or suggestions are welcomed. What should I expect? Is the primary focus of the DiveMaster course, the training of students? Learning new skills? Learning boat activity management? Employment? What are the employment opportunitys for a divemaster? What is the typical pay rate?

:scubahelmet:

There are plenty of previsou threads on this topic, fyi.

The primary focus of the divemaster course is turning you into a professional diver, meaning expert skills, leadership, and emergency response. Employment opportunities and pay rates vary widely, from free air to comparable wages. You could run your own trips to the bahamas, or fill tanks at a dive shop. From the course itself you will do:

a lot of academics and testing
master the basic skills
test your fitness, rescue skills, and ability to handle stress
demonstrate planning and leadership
intern with a instructor during many classes of differeing levels

Details vary and its best for you to talk to your likely instructor.

Ahh, well, hate to be contrary, but I enjoy being a DM :)

It really is attitude, what you expect out of it.

Concerning $, I do not look at it as a source of income, on the other hand it effectively costs me nothing, helps fund diving. Cost of the class was more than made up for on my first Key Man discount from the LDS, I'm active enough to qualify for them yearly, which means I can buy nice ($) toys at big discounts (yes, folks, better discounts than you can get out of any of the online stores). As an active DM, my in-shop daily discounts also exceed Internet pricing. I get free air, and whenever I help in open water certs I get shop credits which end up covering my gas and annual fees (insurance, DM renewals).

Skill-wise, it definitely depends on who you study under, the Instructor -- no surprise, again, as that's common for anything in life. I had to really work hard to develop demo-grade skills, which I keep practicing, multiple times per year as I help out with classes. My buoyancy control has become really rock solid, and I've learned to watch my fellow divers for signs of stress, any issues. Problem-solving skills get better when you dive pretty often with new people -- you're forced out of the natural tendency towards diving in a clique, a small circle of friends of likely roughly the same skills.

Personally, I believe working as a DM, given the Instructor I learned from and usually work for, really has made me a better (safer, more competent, better skill set) diver.

I have zero interest in becoming a full Instructor, though I'll likely do AI, for personal interest. Given this has made my diving free, skills better, and I get to participate (in my small way) is helping new people learn to do something I enjoy, it's definitely been worthwhile. If I had gone in expecting $, or somehow felt that the drudge stuff was beneath me, I would have been disillusioned quickly. Expecting only to see people learn things, it's been super.

I have zero interest in becoming a full Instructor, though I'll likely do AI, for personal interest. Given this has made my diving free, skills better, and I get to participate (in my small way) is helping new people learn to do something I enjoy, it's definitely been worthwhile.

Why zero interest in becoming an Instructor?

Im not sure it will die a death. Its great for the business involved - they get 3 or 4 free slaves to work for the entire season.

I agree. The thing that seems to be twisted about it is that I do not remember seeing any of my school teachers (professionals) in the restrooms cleaning the toilets or mopping floors. The tasks must be done, this is a given, but I don't feel the dive store owners have things structured properly. I personally think specialized teaching tasks (such as diving) should be separate from basic maintenance tasks. If I own a scuba operation in the future I will separate the tasks. Until then I will shake my head. :shakehead:

Back
Top Bottom