Up and down too much?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can only promise that it will look cool, we did the Texas Chainsaw remake in '03 as well. so if you liked that....

Loved the TCM remake, very dark and spooky.

One of the issues with doing this is that there are no computers designed for this type of even, no even attempted accurate math models. There may have been some study of this, but am unaware of it (please, if anyone knows of one, would love to read it).

If one were to do this, and then make a regular dive, would doubt the calculation would be correct.

The sage advice from others here would seem to be an excellent path to follow.

Guba I may have misread (or misinterpreted) the original post, but I took it that the OP wished to practice the use of a true lift bag (to lift an item off the bottom to the surface), as opposed to using it as a marker. The former would entail a diver going up with the bag to control the rate of ascent, while the latter would not. If this is the case, advice about a third member on the surface, or reeling in a bag from below doesn't approach the problem.
Am I thinking right or not?

Yes you were the only one to read it right? i was wondering how they all planned to control the asent staying on the bottom and i really dont fell safe knowing 100 pounds of something is above my head uncontrolled.

My suggestion would be to not surface with the bag. Locate your target, attach the bag, then inflate just enough to get the item neutral. Swim around a bit with the bag and item to make sure it is truely neutral, then deflate the bag and do it again (maybe with a different object. Take the item up ten feet then back down and adjust the bags air to keep it neutral at all times. I think you will get a lot more out of this than you would doing all those bounce dives.

And now that we are clear about the original question, I agree with Sideband. While training with lift bags, we were to take an object (an old outboard motor) from one platform to another, which we did numerous times. One platform was at about 30 feet and the other was at about 18. In this way, there was ample need to adjust the buoyancy without undue bouncing. Of course, we finished by lifting the motor all the way to the surface (and had to do a proper safety stop with it) when we terminated the dives, so we got to experience the more extreme volume changes in that last 15 feet. This process should help avoid an overly sawtooth profile.

Back
Top Bottom