Update: Now I Have a Personal Carbon Monoxide Monitor/Tester

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon, just ordered one. Thank you! I will likely be ordering many more as Christmas Gifts this year for my dive buddies around the world!

I think teaching all divers to carry and learn how to shoot an SMB might be a much more cost effective way to prevent injuries and deaths (being run over by boats, being left drifting by the pickup boat etc).
Interesting points. I think it's funny that we stress safety in training, equipment, diving, yet do so little to protect the most important equipment a diver carries: the breathing gas - unless it's Nitrox, then we test that. My nitrox tester cost twice as much; is it really any more important?
Don,

Great topic and investigation skills. This has been an issue I have wondered about for quite a while for a few reasons.

On my check out dives with a local shop I felt excessively tired after each and every tank I dove from that shop. I have never had an issue since except one time again when a buddy had his tanks done there, same results. To my knowledge no one was ever harmed from the air and maybe it's just me but while taking a good look at the shops compressor setup. Which was located in a small shack away from anything that might contaminate the incoming air. While there I noticed an odd situation, when the wind kicked up just a little you could smell the exhaust from the compressor, so I walked around the side of the building where the intake was located and sure enough the odor was overwhelming. In my opinion what was happening was under certain sitatutions the wind was carrying the exhaust to the intake side. I know this should be taken care of by the filters but if the filters where towards the end of their life expectency or maybe left in a little longer than they should have I guess it is possible. I discussed it with the shop owenr who kind of blew it off but I noticed they do very little filling from that setup anymore and use their other shops most of the time now.

You have been around here long enough to rememeber Carl, who brought up this subject quite often. He raised a lot of arguements for the use of something like this which if memory serves he took a pretty good beating for back then. His arguments where strong and had me thinking about it ever since, not to a point of obsessions but occasionally if I do not feel quite right after a dive it comes to mind.

Thanks for doing the research, I will be getting one of the testers for sure.

Regards
Sounds like the intake is indeed your smoking gun - and filters/scrubbers may or may not clean up a problem. An inline CO monitor with auto shut-off would be better protection. See your personal monitor give a pass on the tank air would be the most reassuring I think.

I don't remember Carl or a previous discussion on this. I may have been here and just not noticed. Many here are not noticing this - but we'll know more in time from the number of divers ordering these instruments if they follow thru on the testing and reporting details here on SB.
DandyDon, just ordered one. Thank you! I will likely be ordering many more as Christmas Gifts this year for my dive buddies around the world!
Haha, that'll be generous of you. :eyebrow:

DandyDon

Thank you for a most enlightening and thought provoking thread. I'm going diving tomorrow with an operator here in Malta and the first question I will ask is "Do you check the quality of the air going into your tanks?" After reading the Maldives (Baani) incident it really makes me realize that if it happened once it can happen again. I treat this hobby like I treat my job (pilot) both can be a lot of fun but both can get you killed if you are not dillegent, or become complacent. Cheers, and with a hat like yours I can say Happy Trails.:pilot:

LD

Malta, how nice. I anticipate the answer will be something like "we've never had any problems," but I'd be curious to know.

I need to write up a brief how-to on using this monitor after carrying it on my Mexico trip. Leaving it on and monitoring during the flights was fine - I understand planes seldom have CO monitors, and in the hotel rooms - we know they don't, as well as testing air tanks; leaving it on around town in 90+% humidity was not so good as it took longer for the monitor to test tank air.

I'll work on that tonight...

Don

Well I asked and they said that they had just changed (like an hour ago) their go-nogo filter on the pump. It was a preventive maintenance ting by the way. It was in a big long carrboard tube and it will not allow contaminantes into the tanks. I looked at their filling station and was it was an all enclosed system and used electric power, which was a relief. Either way I've been impressed with them otherwise I would not still be diving with them.

Cheers:pilot:

LD

While it doesn't have a digital readout, just go/no-go indicator, this product is much easier to use with scuba equipment and only uses a tiny wisp of air. Carbon Monoxide tester for scuba and firefighting
To see what the product actually looks like, go to the "order" link and click on one of the product names. It brings up a photo of all the models and the chemical capsule.

While it doesn't have a digital readout, just go/no-go indicator, this product is much easier to use with scuba equipment and only uses a tiny wisp of air. Carbon Monoxide tester for scuba and firefighting
To see what the product actually looks like, go to the "order" link and click on one of the product names. It brings up a photo of all the models and the chemical capsule.
Yeah, I tried to order one before I found this one, Scubatoys had them even cheaper, but - not available either source. I even had a phone chat with the guy who made them. He said he had one run, they didn't sell, and for him to make them today would cost him $150 each so we'd be looking at a higher cost at our end.

In retrospect, I really prefer the digital reading over the go-no indicator that is good for a few but undetermined number of tests now that I have used mine on a trip and learned...
  1. Avoid prolonged exposure to 85+% Relative Humidity;
  2. Use a one gallon oven bag that holds up better;
  3. If in doubt on the two minute reading, the three or four minute reading will be more dependable.
The manufacture rep and I actually had a chat about this today. They're considering a 300S model with some extra gadgets; I told him I'd have to see and try them kit to fully appreciate it, but I was pretty happy with my over bag, safety stop timer, and waterproof cigarette box. :crafty:

But if you see anything else that might work, please do let us know...? :)

Even as much as I like this CO analyzer and as helpful as Dave & Oliver have been in the manufacture's customer service department, I do not mean to push this product over others that will meet the need. I would like to see many divers checking tanks and reporting results here on SB, but there are other products. One member PMed me today about a portable multi-gas model he hopes to use for Nitrox and CO both. I told him it looked good if easy to use for the $400+ price tag. He bought it on Ebay for $140. :11: Sweet! I suppose he'll need to have the CO sensor calibrated right away, but still - nice. I'm shopping Ebay now for lesser monitors for two homes and three vehicles. :eyebrow: My home unit is old, my daughter doesn't have one since they have an all electric home - but my grandkids sleep 15 feet from the garage, and vehicles are certainly a risk while driving.

But also see http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ba...able-co-monitor-tester-field-experiences.html for my experiences with this model. :crafty:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom