Phuket - Sharkey Scuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Unfortunately, i have tried a few times to get sharkey's attention, but actually never got any reply to my emails.
Like I said, I only ever got a reply when my correspondence included a booking and involved money.

The only visible things from sharkey regarding the matter was this post on their BUSINESS website and them removing us from the sharkey scuba group on facebook. Did someone mention childish behaviour before?

And at the end of the day, this whole thing started by us posting our opinion on this forum about those 2 divers getting lost at sea in australia, like many others did, and then comments made by sharkey on their BUSINESS website about our posts. I am sorry, but to me this is very very unprofessional !

Jim.

PS: The main reason why I started this thread is because I was (still am) very angry at the comments made by sharkey on their website, and got very frustrated by the lack of response to my emails. i guess when they asked us for our opinion about the whole course with them, they only retain the positive information.

As an outsider, I can see two things here.

Firstly, I dont think it is acceptable to publish the names of a dive centre when you are giving them hard time, on a very public forum.

If you have a beef, then publish your side of the story, but omit the names.

If you then offer, to anyone who is interested, to divulge the name of the operation in a private message.

That being said, there are two sides to every story and without having the dive shop owners here to defend themselves, its a little difficult for neutrals to be objective.

The people who have commented so far, are based in Thailand, may know the people involved and and of the ones I know are professional educators and honest dive shop owners.
I think all of them would like to be accorded the courtesy of being able to deal with a very public spat in private.

Having been a Dive Centre Manager (as well as tank boy) in the past, I would probably say that your situation (and most customer/dive centre relations) has been exacerbated by a lack of communication.

You have a right to complain about the service you receive, and you deserve a fair response when requested for one.

If I may be so bold as to suggest that you ask the moderators of the board to delete this thread and you write another one detailing your beef, without mentioning names.

Then I am sure the local professionals who know the people concerned will be able to contact them and let them sort out your issues.

It may be that you will never be happy with the response, but to publically disparage them in a forum such as this, I believe is not necessary.

I wish you luck in the future

Last edited:
I here you Belushi, but as you can observe, in the first post, you will observe that there is no mention of any names, unless Sharkey is a new christian name? the only time they names were mentioned was from other people replying in response to our thread....we never named names...therefore we would certainly allow for the moderator to delete the thread and of course we will do it again....I m afraid your argument is somewhat directed at the wrong person.....

We don t want a response, like we have said its been, happened and gone. We just want to warn other people....

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Naming the dive shop is allowed.

Naming individuals (whether customers or instructors) is not allowed.

I here you Belushi, but as you can observe, in the first post, you will observe that there is no mention of any names, unless Sharkey is a new christian name? the only time they names were mentioned was from other people replying in response to our thread....we never named names...therefore we would certainly allow for the moderator to delete the thread and of course we will do it again....I m afraid your argument is somewhat directed at the wrong person.....

We don t want a response, like we have said its been, happened and gone. We just want to warn other people....

Yep, you are right, my apologies. You didnt mention names.

Misread it ... as my readjustment on my post read, it was early.

Sorry again.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

AAA and BBB are running Sharkey's now. Several posters in this thread have mentioned their names. Please don't.

My husband and I have also dived with Sharkey Divers actually on 3 occasions over 2 years , and also having dived in Other countries with numerous Companies so I do feel justified in saying I know a bad dive company and instructors and I would not as I have said before returned to (And as you quoted Spent my hard earned cash) on returning again and again... Stupid we are not !!!!
On our second trip we also met ALLY who was doing her DM and we found her so helpful, professional and friendly. Are you sure you met the same person !!!! Or have you really got a macho problem and just felt injured pride?????

Hi,

I just thought I would give my opinion about the dive school where I took my EFR-Rescue-Divemaster along with my girlfriend. To warn off potential students who may be considering parting with their hard earned cash to this company.

After meeting the main instructor on a previous trip to Phuket we decided to book the whole lot with him at the beginning of this year, something I now regret.

After getting some information, I got promised that we would each do at least 30 open water dives during our divemaster course and the 6 weeks we planned for it. I also emphasized the fact that our main reason for taking the courses was to get comfortable underwater and know what to do if a situation occurred, as my girlfriend and I were going to travel in Malaysia and Indonesia afterwards. That agreed, we assumed that most of the diving would be done together.

Before starting the course, we decided to go for a similan liveaboard (which we did with south siam divers and was great) and a day trip from Phuket, after a call from Sharkey Scuba offering us a good price for a day trip to Racha Yai we booked it with them. On that particular day, we went for 3 dives (2 in Racha Noi and 1 in Racha Yai). On the firt dive, the sea was a bit rough and I got sea sick, and therefore decided to skip the first dive. This to my surprise was later included in my DM course number dives even though I paid extra for it over and above the price of the course, also sharkey scuba told me it was my own fault I had missed the dive, therefore promoting diving with an illness, something which is abhorently stupid. I had a repeat illness a week later and choose not to dive that day, I was then told that this would be logged as 2 dives towards my DM course, I m not sure what the PADI recommendation is for this practice.

We started with our EFR and Rescue course, which went fine apart from the lack of planning, we asked for a detailed planning of the week, but everything was done on a day-to-day basis, with some late changes usually shifting morning "classrooms" sessions to the afternoon. The conditions for the classrooms were far from ideal as the classroom is actually the kitchen of the owner's house, with everything it comes with: other family/customers/instructors/trainees coming back from dives and chatting around you when taking exams. My girlfriend actually failed the physics exam (which the instructor openly gloats about on his website by comparing our performance with other DM performance - some people understand things, some people dont), she wasn t bothered about failing but really wanted to understand the basics, this she found was extremely stressful under the noisy conditions.

During the DM training, we found ourselves diving a lot separately, which I guess is fine,we have to be flexible, but we thought we agreed differently. One of my "problems" as a diver is that I consume a lot of air, I don't really consider this as a problem, but really felt like it was one when it came to taking customers out, as I was confined to having most of my dives at Kata Beach with the students (max 9 meters) when my girlfriend was out on day trips most days, and this seemed to be a surprise to the instructor when pointed out, proof he wasn't keeping track. I don't believe this is consistent with the information we had obtained prior to the course, telling us that the course was about diving in different conditions with different people. I also got told that my heavy breathing might be due to diving with my girlfriend as apparently she stresses me out (unbeknown to me), which I thought was ridiculous, but even if it were true, I would need to work on it diving with her instead of avoiding it as we are going to dive together for a long time.

We also found ourselves diving with a different instructor quite a few times, as, we were told, our instructor had an ear problem, but then we found out that Arsenal had been playing the night before or he had just been out, and our instructor was just simply hungover. A lot of times we would turn up in the afternoon for our "clasrooms" sessions at the office/house, and we found ourselves locked outside and had to shout from the street to wake our instructor up from an afternoon nap.

Also, during the course, my girlfriend found she had a problem with her reg, and our instructor offered very kindly to take it to DiveSupply for it to be checked, and considering mine had been checked at the same place as hers previously I decided to give mine in too. This ended costing us quite a bit, but it took about 2 weeks for our instructor to drop it off at DiveSupply , everyday we would turn up and see our regs still hanging there in the office , and we'd remind him to drop them off "Yes I'll drop them off tonight" ... a bit frustrating to dive with rental kit for almost all your DM course when you have your own equipment but it is left hanging due to laziness.

Towards the end of our course, we met with another DM Trainee who had to go back to America in the middle of her course and resumed her course then. For some reasons, we didn't get on with her. (This happens in life). The girl turned out to be the one who got "lost" at GBR a few months ago.

When this happened I decided to give my opinion of this story (and about her) as a lot of others did on this forum. I described how she went solo diving on one occasion telling us she was going to do her mapping project by herself (as she was told before), and also defending the fact that, from the photos I had seen, the thick suit she was wearing is what she always used to wear. I actually doubt she got herself lost on purpose, I don't believe she is that stupid.. But who knows what happened out there....

Anyway, after posting this message, I was amazed to find the following still on the gossip column of the website:

I just would like to know how someone can be rated as a superior diver.

After seeing this I decided to write to our sharkey scuba instructor to get some explanations, and also tell him what we thought of our course (as he had asked us to do). But up to this day I never received any response to this email or the previous ones I had sent with some news of our travels and asking for news of his family. I suppose our emails didn't include any bookings and therefore uninteresting.

I guess the goodbye he gave us was fake and he wasn't that sad to see us leave, this would also explain how only some customers get quoted on the sharkey scuba website.

Now I hope this message does not seem like a desperate attempt to get back at him, I live far away from him and have a very happy life. The point is that for a man who is suppose to be running a professional business he has become fixated upon defending this women on his company website, something that happened a while ago. Fair enough but why mention and compare the performance of my girlfriend and I to others? Is this what you want to pay for? Is diving quantifiable? hat makes a good diver? Is it the ability to pass your DM exams 100%?

When running a business in diving, I presume standards should be high and professional, when considering a dive operation in Phuket (for which there are hundreds) would you be happy with the standard of care that we have recieved? Would you put up with a company that supports idle chit chat and gossip, after all you are there for a holiday, without hassle, lies and petty mindness. Just an opportunity to get in the water and forget about the world above....

We have dived with a number of operations in Phuket and would recommend scandanavian divers or dive asia for courses and day trips, (after all if you go through sharkey scuba you end up on these boats anyway as they don t have a boat of their own) These 2 other diver operators give more value for money to my personal opinion, although it is not a "personal" service, you will get out on the boat more often (which is what matters) and won't be at the whim of the owners moods....

I am sure that some customers were happy about diving with sharkey scuba, as we were the previous times, but I guess we sticked around a bit too long.

In the end we passed our DM and we went to sipadan (wey heeeeyy)...

Jim.

My husband and I have also dived with Sharkey Divers actually on 3 occasions over 2 years , and also having dived in Other countries with numerous Companies so I do feel justified in saying I know a bad dive company and instructors and I would not as I have said before returned to (And as you quoted Spent my hard earned cash) on returning again and again... Stupid we are not !!!!
On our second trip we also met ALLY who was doing her DM and we found her so helpful, professional and friendly. Are you sure you met the same person !!!! Or have you really got a macho problem and just felt injured pride?????

Hello Islaandstew,

I am glad you enjoyed your diving and the instructors there. I do believe you totally and would not imagine you are stupid for one minute, as the reason why I signed up for my 6-week long courses with them is also because I had a good experience when diving with them the first times (also 3 times in 2 years) BUT the point of my post (if you read it properly) is the lack of professionalism over a long period course and the conditions, and also being disappointed at their behavior after my comments about ally's ordeal on this forum.
Regarding Ally, I believe I am entitled to my own opinion about her, as much as you are. As it happens, we didn't get on well, and again as I said in a previous post, I actually defended her against some critics regarding her wetsuit thickness for example...

As for my pride, it is fine, and for me being macho, I don't believe so as I have met a lot of very good female instructors (the main female instructor at sharkey scuba being one)... and my girlfriend didn't get on with her either (even less than me), does that make her macho ???

Oh and by the way, are we talking about the same school as you refer to it as "Sharkey Divers" , when I am talking about Sharkey Scuba.

Jim.

Last edited:
Yes all opinions are valid that I will agree ... and Yes my error Sharkey Scuba is the same Company .... as I feel sure that the same people i.e would not be in two places at once !!!
I will continue to stick to my opinions regarding "SHARKEY SCUBA! also...
And definately return again and spend even more hard earnt cash
isla

I have personally known both AAA and BBB for many years now, having completed my OW through to Rescue Diver with them along with 6 specialty courses, over the course of 4 years. I have never once found them to be unprofessional. In fact I happen to know that AAA and BBB both adhere to the PADI standards very very closely and are some of the more conservative divers that I know. I also happen to know a person who trained as a DM with them and he is now one of my favorite people to dive with.

With regards to the bar-restaurant that you often meet at, you might do well to point out that it also has a pool designed for pool dives and this a nice, cool alternative to being cooped up old day in classroom sessions as it is an open area with a breeze.

The dives that you didn't go on because you were feeling unwell, did they count towards the 30 dives that you were told you would get, or did they get logged also, because there is a huge difference. It cost money to send you out on the boat plus any gear you might have rented and the cost to put AAA or BBB on the boat also. You can't expect them to give you additional dives just because you got seasick (there a pills on the boat to stop that from happening). However, if the dives were logged then that is a breach of standards but I doubt either AAA or BBB would do that.

Perhaps the friendly, personal nature of this particular dive shop isn't for you. You might find that the larger, non-personal dive shops more to your liking. If anything you should stop from slagging a dive shop on this public forum such as this without giving the shop a chance to tell their story.

jackd

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom