Advice on Ikelite strobes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am considering buying an Ikelite strobe, because most of the models are compatible with Olympus housings (using the EV Manual Controller). I have narrowed it down to either the AF-35, the DS-51, or the DS-125, however I would like to get some advice from people who have actually used the strobes. (I don't trust the claims that some of the dealers make about the strboes power.) Any advice is appriciated!

I have recently changed my strobe from the Sea & Sea YS90 to the Ike DS-51. I use an IKE housing and i can use the DS51 with all modes including TTL which was not compatible with the YS 90.

if i were you i would check which modes are useable on the Oly housing, the IKE has a little balck box of tricks to translate what other makes of strobe are saying into Olympus, i don't know about the Oly housing.

I found that using the internal flash to trigger the strobe i was getting a hot slash (bigger than a hot spot) on my photographs where the light had passed through the housing and i had to virtually cover the front of the camera with velcro right up to the lens to prevent it. (there was an alternative i later found). The easiest for me was to buy a sync cable then to buy another when i changed strobes and probably another when i twin, but that's what birthdays are for:)

So far i like it, but it would be nice to use it a bit more can someone please turn the wind button off!

I have been shooting Ike gear for a long time. Have used DS-50 and now DS51 singlely and dual setup. Used DS50 and Manual EV Controller with older Olympus. That combo also works fine for most cameras. My newer Ike housing for C5050 comes with TTL connection (only availble for cameras with hot shoe) which works great. Have also shot DS+EV with Oly SP-350. Also fine.

IRT which flash, unless you intend to do very wide angle underwater, the DS51 is a good compact adjustable strobe. For new u/w photog KISS principle applies.

With proper settings most digicams with Manual can be set up to squelch internal flash and default to external strobe. That is preferred technique IMHO. Been shooting like that for 5 years! Seems to work for me.

I'm currently using a DS-125, but Ike just released the DS-160, and the DS-125 is going byebye.

I'd buy as much strobe as you can afford. They have good resale value, and more power is more better UW. However size is a factor. I used to have a DS200, and it was a tank.... too big. I switched to the DS-125 which is a good compromise.

I'd go with the 51 on a budge, and the 125 if you have the money to do so.

I use the DS-51 and I agree with what RonFrank said, buy the biggest strobe your system, and your diving can handle. I use the DS-51 and I am adding a second strobe to my system. If you can afford it I don't think you can go wrong with the DS-125.

I am considering buying an Ikelite strobe, because most of the models are compatible with Olympus housings (using the EV Manual Controller). I have narrowed it down to either the AF-35, the DS-51, or the DS-125, however I would like to get some advice from people who have actually used the strobes. (I don't trust the claims that some of the dealers make about the strboes power.) Any advice is appriciated!

The DS-160 uses the same body as the DS-125 but it also has a nice LED modeling light built in. At less then $200 more then the 125, a 160 is a no brainer.

Now if that check would only get here I could go and order one.

i second the recommendation for the DS-125 or DS-160 i personally used the DS-200 but would have to say that the ds-125 are a far superior strobe to that of the DS-50.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom