Opinions Wanted... Which Would YOU Choose?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveLabby

Registered
Reaction score
Admittedly I am one of those 'dreaded cruise ship' divers. I am looking at a few cruises probably next December (I know, long ways off) and wanted some opinions.

I think I already know the answer to this, but after hours of reading the internet, I just dont know. Looking for insight & opinions. Which cruise would you choose for scuba diving? Keeping in mind that the total cost (cruise and airfare) are very similar since one cruise leaves from Puerto Rico (airfare will be much higher) the other leaves from Miami.

Obviously, the Liberty of the Seas being a much bigger, newer ship, I would like to cruise on her. But I just dont know about the diving on that itinerary. Any info is greatly appreciated!

Adventure of the Seas
Aruba
Curacao
Dominica
St Thomas
OR
Liberty of the Seas
Cozumel
Costa Maya
Belize

Admittedly I am one of those 'dreaded cruise ship' divers. I am looking at a few cruises probably next December (I know, long ways off) and wanted some opinions.

I think I already know the answer to this, but after hours of reading the internet, I just dont know. Looking for insight & opinions. Which cruise would you choose for scuba diving? Keeping in mind that the total cost (cruise and airfare) are very similar since one cruise leaves from Puerto Rico (airfare will be much higher) the other leaves from Miami.

Obviously, the Liberty of the Seas being a much bigger, newer ship, I would like to cruise on her. But I just dont know about the diving on that itinerary. Any info is greatly appreciated!

Adventure of the Seas
Aruba
Curacao
Dominica
St Thomas
OR
Liberty of the Seas
Cozumel
Costa Maya
Belize

It's pretty much a coin toss.

The first one will give you more chances to do shore diving, either with or without the ship, while the second one will probably allow you to do some more interesting dives, although they'll both be guided (Belize is probably going to be with Hugh Parkey who does a really nice job) and Cozumel will almost certainly be a guided drift dive.

Terry

The one curise has 3 stops which might allow more time in each port. I have only been on one cruise and I felt rushed when we tried to do things in port. Just something to think about.

Hands down the first. Go shore dive in the ABC's and boat dive in the other two spots. Not to mention Dominica is under rated IMHO if you have time to get with the right op. Also, more stops to dive at!

I have done both of these and have to say that Costa Maya and Belize aren't that great from a cruise ship as you don't have options other than to take the offered dive ops. For example, Hugh Parkey's does do a nice job but it was still crowded and a LONG ride in the boat to a mediocre spot hand picked for cruise ship divers. JMHO.

Just having the shore dive options in the ABC's is great! Save time, aggravation, and money.

I just wish the first option included Cozumel. Exchange St. Thomas for Cozumel and you would have a glorious itinerary! Have fun!!!

Is there any particular reason you're married to one cruise line?

I'm on an itinerary with Carnival (the Carnival Legend) in October in which I'll be diving in Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Belize and Roatan.

Don't limit yourself. Check out all of the options before making a decision.

THANKS everyone for your input! I was thinking the ABC islands would be the better pick for a cruise ship diver, and because of that, I am definitely leaning toward the Adventure of the Seas, but keep the responses coming!

jldodd-
I wouldnt consider myself 'married' to one cruiseline. I have been on three Carnival cruises and one Royal Caribbean. I have a very small time window next year for my son (who is my dive buddy) to go. It is after after his Autumn Quarter is over in college but before Christmas. Those two ships fit the schedule and offer dive spots I have never been to. I spent all day Sunday reading and got such conflicting information about Belize but most agreed that a cruise ship diver doesnt have enough time to go to the really good spots. From what I read, Costa Maya isnt really known for its diving either. I just wanted opinions from people who dive because I figured they could give me good advice.

I have already scuba dived in St Marteen (was a Discover Scuba and is the reason I got certified), Barbados,St Thomas, Grand Cayman (wonderful), Cozumel (what a blast) and beleive it or not, Jamaica. I kind of wanted to experience good dives somewhere we have not been.

I'm on an itinerary with Carnival (the Carnival Legend) in October in which I'll be diving in Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Belize and Roatan.

I did that one some years back and loved it!

Well, when it comes to cruises, not only do you want a good dive but I'm sure you want a Great atmosphere aboard.

I have found, along with many friends who cruise, that Carnival, while less expensive in general, also offers a less-than-optimum cruise experience and the amenities are not nearly up to par with other lines.

I'd go with your first choice.

Is there any particular reason you're married to one cruise line?
Don't limit yourself. Check out all of the options before making a decision.

Or married to a cruise for that matter? Your dive shop can probably point you to some non-cruise vacations that offer better diving and likely whatever else it is you're seeking from a cruise. Cruises are a mass market shotgun approach, seeking to be all things to all people, which means they inevitably fall short in some way for anyone deeper than a puddle.

Or married to a cruise for that matter? Your dive shop can probably point you to some non-cruise vacations that offer better diving and likely whatever else it is you're seeking from a cruise. Cruises are a mass market shotgun approach, seeking to be all things to all people, which means they inevitably fall short in some way for anyone deeper than a puddle.

My wife doesn't dive and I do, so we go on cruises, where I setup dives with local ops and she goes shopping and snorkels. We're both out for the day, then meet back on the ship for dinner, some dancing, maybe a movie or hanging out at night on the deck.

It's not perfect for either person, but it's very nice for both.

Terry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom