Spearfishing from Shore, Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, I dont agree with the jetty thing, but some of the jetties I have been around it is probably a good thing.... Last think I need is some arse flinging a 6 oz sinker at me cause he's pissed I am fishing near "his spot".... It would happen too!
I find plenty of bridges/pilings to spear around, but there are a couple spots I really wanted to spear, but because of their "cloudy" regulations I didnt want to chance it. Some said it was okay, some said it wasnt, and F&G likes to refer you to the regs rather than give you a straight up answer....

Stay safe!

Christof

Divesherpa:
I live in SE Florida. Does anyone have any experience spearfishing from shore in SE Florida?
I haven't spearfished in years and said that I would never buy a spear. Well, I found one today at the end of a nice drift. It was freshly lost, so, fate opened a door. Now, I can spearfish with a clear conscience:wink:.
Any help would be appreciated.

I think I emailed you regarding what kind of gun you found. I thought it would be really funny if you Found a A.B. Miller, brand new. I lost it diving with "The wetter the Better" . notice you guys also go diving on the Spash down Diver, and i remember seeing that boat where i lost my gun. however there was a very strong current.
can you send me a picture of that gun? it will be a funny story to share with my dive buddies
thanks seaboyforever

And to answer your question about public beaches, it is any beach where "official" public access is available, i.e., where there is a walkway or other access point that was created specifically to allow the public to access that particular beach.... Many beaches are public even if surrounded by private property, but cannot be accessed unless by boat due to it not being a "public" beach and having access to that beach from non-water areas.... Hope that clears it up....

Nearly every jetty is off limits because fishing is allowed on most.... Private jettties are the exception.
And some have said that every bridge is connected to shore with a jetty. They are wrong. The "jetty" that attaches a bridge to shore is an "abutment" and not a jetty, so unless it is a bridge that is officially recognized as a fishing bridge (Skyway fishing pier, Fort DeSoto fishing peir, etc.) then they are legal to spear around....

Christof

Issues of spearing fish. It also states that spearing is a penetration of the flesh of the fish. Simple, take a t-ball bat and club the fishies! Then you can get as close as you want to jetties and piers,... blunt trauma versus spearing! :)
I spoke with someone from the legal department in Tallahassee years ago, who was able to give me straight answers on a lot of the history of the laws. The main reasons for the underwater spearing issues around piers and jetties was the conflict between spearos and R&R's. (Rod & Reels) As an RNR will not walk beyond the above surface area on a jetty, they must limit the distance to a heavy weight cast from a reef pole. I wouldn't want to get snagged by some of that as well. They also don't want us spearing near public beaches because of the potential "range" issues of the guns. Unfortunately, they do NOT differentiate between guns, n polespears. They feel that once an all encompassing law exists, it's better to leave it alone, until someone sues to knitpick the law into change. The guy was some big honcho in the marine fisheries legal department and was very happy to answer any questions I posed. He said the best way to find out WHY a law exists, is to look up the establishments of the law and see why it was enacted. What incidents caused it to appear, as unfortunately, the laws are reactive, not necessarilly proactive. I wish I still had his info! It took me a thousand phone calls, feelings of wasted time, and long distance charges to finally get someone who knew what a fish was, much less, the laws on taking them. I questioned the freshwater spearo laws and he said, because of the recreational fisher industry. They don't want ANY competition to their sport and there were not enough spearos to stand against the issues when the laws were proposed. The path of least resistance was unfortunately abolishing ALL underwater taking of fish. He was NOT a spearo and still agreed on the the laws being too strict on divers. I had spoken to him shortly after they enacted the no marine species in freshwater addendums. Since they killed off any chance of spearing in FW, I gave up after that and have rarely even RNR'd in FW.

DEEPSEAWOLF:
...As an RNR will not walk beyond the above surface area on a jetty, they must limit the distance to a heavy weight cast from a reef pole...

Kind of a silly reason, considering that there are so many people who dive the jetties regardless of fishermen, despite, not being able to spear.

Does this meen you can't have a speargun on a public beach or you must be at least 100 yards offshore from a public beach before actually arming a speargun?

It really depends on where you are. Any big public beach like St Pete beach, or Palm Beach, etc., have lifeguards who will give you hell. Many of the smaller, less crowded, "public" beaches can be done, but you cannot load the gun till you are offshore the minimum distance. Just be smart, keep gun as hidden as possible until in the water, and you probably wont have a problem...

Christof

A Public Beach is defined as any beach that is available for the public to use, lounge, spend the day at if you will. Private beaches, most are, in front of condos etc. are defined by the Mean High Water tide line. In the morning look for the weed line that has been deposited on the sand. From this line to the horizon is public access.

In general, if your at an area of the beach that has lifeguards posted, it's a public beach. Look for the swim area buoys that are usually about 100 yards or less from the beach. One at the north end and south end. Stay 100 yards away from them.

If someone tells you you cannot be on their beach ask them to define their, "Private beach". Then tell them the above information. That should shut their yap.

Be careful. Be mindful of others. Don't ruin it for the other guys.

Oh yes. Know your fish. You don't want to end up in court for harvesting the wrong species or size.

FL spearfishing regulations are silly. There is a distance from the beach or from any pier/jetty/manmade structure you have to be away from by either 300' or 300m(or was it 500' or 500m)? Regardless of distance, its a retarded regulation.
It's 100 yards (300 ft) from public swimming beaches. Other beaches should be ok. It makes sense. I was recently at a public swimming beach, and some yahoos were playing with their pole spears within about 100' of shore. It was not a good situation. Also, in terms of shark attraction, I think it's a good thing to keep spearfisherman away from swimming beaches. I think the jetty/pier rules are because line fishermen think spearfishermen will take all the fish and are probably irrational.

Public beach in Florida is any beach that is open to the public and is marked as such. But dont try walking across a public beach with a spear gun. If L/G is on duty you wont make it. I was told by FWC that it is illigal to have in your possesion any type of spear while crossing the sand at a public beach.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom