Travel Situation - Bangkok/Phuket/Krabi

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alc16

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi Folks
Given the current political tension & protests happening is there any chance for real updates from those who are in Thailand? The BBC website has stated the UK FCO is advising against travel to the region and that several regional airports (ie Krabi/Phuket & may be Hat Yai) are closed or have been closed thus stranding foreigners.

I'd rather read the info first hand (hopefully not rumours) as i'm sure there are many planning to go or are in the region now.

I'm heading to Krabi end of Sept and have booked my tickets so i want to get wet plus attend a friends wedding provided I can get there. If I can't get out that isn't a big deal...i'm sure my company can deal without me!

Phuket Gazette I see has finally updated - there was no news yesterday. The Phuket Wan website has better up to date coverage:

Daily news and features from your sweet Phuket - Phuket Wan

Latest news is "THE BLOCKADE of Phuket International Airport is over, and now the cost is being counted.

Phuket's air siege lifted when leaders of the Peoples' Alliance for Democracy met Sunday morning and decided to stop the protest that brought a halt to all flights in and out of the island from Friday.

Soon after, airport General Manager Wing Commander Wicha Nurnlop called all 11 airlines and told them the airport was open, and that flights could resume as soon as possible.

The first outbound flight will be Thai Airways TG214, due to leave Phuket for Bangkok at 4.20pm."

Hooraayy!

It would not have stopped me from travelling to Thailand anyway.

October 20th ... I should be in the Land of Smiles - finally.

Just had a customer arrive who was originally due to start diving today. His mate had enough and flew from Bangkok to Chiang Mai, but he was determined to dive! Divers are tough, a little anti government demonstration ain't gonna put them off!

Good stuff folks and thanks for the links. I wouldn't be concerned going honestly and getting wet is a priority! My friend in BKK advises most people don't actually care for these protests or have either got bored. Mai pen rai right?

I'm Thai people and love diving but now for protest make somthings not comfortable, especially about tranportation. Many of workers strike, All train are stop service.

But I'm the one of most people don't actually care for these protests or have either got bored.

I don't like this gov. but not agree the way proteter did.

Sorry for you all who have a plan to travel or diving in Thailand this time. I think next week all situation will be better. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom