New Poseidon Rebreather Revealed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jill Heinerth

RebreatherPro
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Here are some of the first official photos of the Poseidon MK6 rebreather. My friend Dr. Bill Stone sent these to me yesterday, excited that the first units were on their way from Sweden. --Jill Heinerth

Here are a few of the first pics:

Attachments

• MK6 for J2-1.jpg
    MK6 for J2-1.jpg
    297.1 KB · Views: 353
  • MK6 for J2-2.jpg
    MK6 for J2-2.jpg
    278.1 KB · Views: 571
  • MK6 for J2-4.jpg
    MK6 for J2-4.jpg
    189.9 KB · Views: 280
  • MK6 for J2-3.jpg
    MK6 for J2-3.jpg
    249.6 KB · Views: 484
  • MK6 for J2-5.jpg
    MK6 for J2-5.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 314
Last edited:
So is this a Cis-Lunar marketed through Poseidon? I saw the Cis-Lunar logo on one of the counterlungs, and since Dr. Bill Stone owns Cis-Lunar I'm making the assumption that the research and development is pure Bill Stone. If you know please tell. Thanks.

Hi Jill -

Pardon my ignorance, but I have a problem with the position of the tanks and valves. The photos clearly show the tanks positioned with valves up, and the tank valves themselves have the shutoffs on top. It seems to me this would be a more difficult position to reach for valve control in an emergency.

Am I missing something?

Ken

Having valves at the top of the rig wouldn't be a bad thing. A lot of breathers tend to be bottom heavy. Having some offset weight at the top of the kit might be nice. The valves shown on the pics might be a little hard to turn though. However, that's easily fixed with some different types of valves.

Any pictures of the unit complete on a diver with BC and bailout?

Thanks for the pics, Jill.

Has there been any word on changes from the prototypes shown at various dive shows,
and progress regarding production and sales of the units?

As I understand Bill, the first are shipping from Sweden right now and I believe there were manufacturing changes since the DEMA demo rig of a year ago. Nothing substantial has changed in design though.

Re: Valves
I would agree on the trim issue and simplicity of design for robust use by a recreational diver (sitting on boats). I think the key thing to remember about the rig is its PURE recreational use. If a problem occurs, the diver is instructed to head for the surface. Turning valves off isn't important when all you need to do is get up. Users of this rig won't do deco or even carry bailout gas.

No Bailout Gas? Not to sure about that one. There seems to be a lot of scary things I've heard about this rebreather, and that is one of them. Someone's gunna have to prove that this is not trouble in the making.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom