USD Metal Second

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gunther49

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
While I Was on E-Bay, looking for a SP Metal Adjustable & Mk 10,15,20. I ran across an incredible deal on a USD DA Aqua Master, and bought it. I am planning on getting a Pheonix valve for it and was wondering what USD Metal Second you would recommend, for a safe second. In 1968 I owned a Calypso-J and thought it breathed like a dream. (comparing it to a budget Dacor in my Scuba Class). But I get the Impression that the Calypso is the Bottom End Now. I Still Intend on using a Sp Balanced Adjustable as my Primary Regulator. But The D.A.A.M sounds like Fun. Back in 1968 I also had USD two Hose Single Stage with the tin Painted Gray (Don't Remember Model, But I bought Them Both new in 1968) It Did Not Breath as well as the Calypso-J. Sorry for the long story, Any Suggestion on best USD Metal Second ?

Congratulations on your purchase.

Most of the US Divers metal second stages are about the same. The basic difference was that the very early ones had a smaller exhaust. And from what I can tell the latest ones and the one they still make (kind of) for the Conshelf XIV, has an opening on the far side of the demand valve for easy adjustment of the nut.

Any of the 1970’s is probably easily obtained for a very reasonable price.

I personally use a low profile, plastic, non-intrusive, flat octopus since I don’t want it to scratch or bang onto my double hose cans when I transport it in my gear bag. It is not vintage and it may not look as good, but it is just an octopus. It is just the easiest way for me.

I really like my Scubapro 109 as one of the best ever single hose regulators, but since I got my Phoenix set up for diving with an SPG and all the other inflators for up here in the cold north, I very rarely dive a single hose regulator. It does require a bit more maintenance to clean the hoses and you have to re-learn how to breathe, but they are much more fun to dive.

I think that more Phoenix may be available again by the end of the year.

If the single stage regulator was from 1968, most likely it was a Mistral with the dull chrome finish.

Find yourself a good Conshelf or such as that. I use a Calypso J second stage I bought in 1966. It is as fine match and works as good now as it ever did despite hundreds of dives (the first still works too but I am not using it obviously here).

DSCF0171.jpg

N

Get that old DAAM all dolled up with some new parts and dive it. All the parts you need to get it back in shape will be reused if you later install a Phoenix and if your going to upgrade it, go all the way. If your up for a trip to Rolesville quarry,just north of Raleigh, Henry and myself will be happy to do some vintage diving with you.

For a second on mine, I use an old chrome conshelf if I want it to look more "vintage" but normal diving I use a yellow plastic USD octo.... matches my USD yellow backplate straps. :)

Does anyone know of a spread sheet/database on here or anywhere with a listing by manufacturer, all the models of regulators with their approximate year of introduction or sale. It would be fun to have a place that we could add a model of regulator and the year it came out. When one sees a good deal at a swap or on Ebay, one could look it up and see how old it is. A column for recalls and another for parts availability would be good too. Might have to get the dive techs to help add those items.

Does anyone know of a spread sheet/database on here or anywhere with a listing by manufacturer, all the models of regulators with their approximate year of introduction or sale. It would be fun to have a place that we could add a model of regulator and the year it came out. When one sees a good deal at a swap or on Ebay, one could look it up and see how old it is. A column for recalls and another for parts availability would be good too. Might have to get the dive techs to help add those items.

I am aware of such a spread sheet for all the US Divers double hose regulators showing the years they were available, but I have not seen it for any other regulators. It would be a nice project for someone with a lot of spare time.

There is a lot of info for Voit and USD double hose regulators because they worked good then and now, there are parts available, tons of them were built over a LONG period of time.

The single hose stuff is more problematic, there is little parts commonality sometimes from year to year unlike some double hosers that ran near twenty years with few changes. Parts and pieces and info for true vintgage era (pre 1974) single hose regulators is not so good. There are subject area experts, like DA Aqua Master is an expert on Scuba Pro, there are experts as well on the Voit and USD single hosers and I am something of one on the non vintage Teknas but but without parts, why bother.

Early Aqua-Lung Identification Plates

I don't think you will ever see the large support of single hose stuff like there is currently for USD and Voit double hose regulators, they just do not have the panache, or history and visual identity.

N

Congratulations on your purchase.

And from what I can tell the latest ones and the one they still make (kind of) for the Conshelf XIV, ...

What do you mean by 'kind of'?

Back
Top Bottom