Teaching SCUBA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

swmarc

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I got a job this semester at my school as a SCUBA teaching assistant. I will only be helping out in and around the pool with checkouts, grading and making sure people are paying attention while we are in the water. While doing this I also get the opportunity to work on more certs.
Anyone have any advise for what I am about to undertake?

I'm not sure what you mean by grading? You are basically describing divemaster duties in a PADI course and an assistant instructor in a NAUI course, and according to your profile, you do not have those qualifications.

Assistant Instructor (AI)

As an Assistant Instructor, you will be authorized to teach all aspects of skin and scuba diving under the supervision of a NAUI Instructor. This is the best possible way to develop your instructional skills. The rating can be a step toward full Instructor, or an end in itself. Match your time, talent and interests with the NAUI programs near you, and enjoy the adventure of personal and professional enhancement as a NAUI leader.

Overview

The NAUI Assistant Instructor rating is a NAUI leadership-level certification. The program is designed to introduce students to diving instruction basics. It also tests individuals in fundamental water skills needed to be capable assistants. Certification authorizes individuals to assist active-status NAUI Instructors in the conduct of dive training. NAUI Assistant Instructor certification is a highly recommended step in the progression to NAUI Instructor.

Qualifications of Graduates

• A current NAUI Assistant Instructor is qualified to assist active-status NAUI Instructors in teaching skin and scuba diving during sanctioned diving courses provided the activities and locale are similar to those of the training. Additional training or experience is to be obtained by the Assistant Instructor who desires to assist in highly specialized training activities, such as deep, wreck penetration, cavern or ice dives.
  • A NAUI Assistant Instructor and can be counted toward student-instructor ratios.
  • After assisting an active-status NAUI Instructor with at least one complete, NAUI Scuba Diver course a current NAUI Assistant Instructor is qualified, if all other prerequisites are met, to enter a NAUI Instructor Training Course (ITC). (Attending a NAUI Instructor Preparatory (PREP) Program and certification as a NAUI Divemaster are recommended prior to attending an ITC.)

Prerequisites for Entering the Course

• General - Meet the requirements applying to all Leadership courses. (See “Policies Applying to Leadership Courses.&#8221:wink:
  • Materials - (See current guide to NAUI membership.)
  • Diver Certification - Certification as NAUI Master Scuba Diver and NAUI Scuba Rescue Diver or their equivalent. Divers with evidence of equivalent training and experience may be enrolled provided they pass the NAUI Master Scuba Diver written examination with a minimum score of 75%.
  • Experience - Have at least 20 logged open water scuba dives. Dives shall be varied in environment, depth and activities.
A little more information regarding your specific duties would be helpful.

Don Wray gave you all the details, but he neglected the nail in the coffin.

And that is: Liability Insurance.

As a current member of a recognized training agency, you will either be required to, or have the opportunity to purchase liability insurance. You may even be covered through another avenue.

Might want to get all the paperwork on file before you "jump in".

Look up NAUI training assistant. They can do almost anything an AI can do, they just don't count towards student / instructor ratios and have to be supervised.

Look up NAUI training assistant. They can do almost anything an AI can do, they just don't count towards student / instructor ratios and have to be supervised.

I did, and again, just going on given profile, the OP doesn't appear to qualify.

To enroll in a Training Assistant course, you must be at least 18 years old, have the training and experience equivalent to at least NAUI Advanced Diver, have certification in NAUI Scuba Rescue Diver or equivalent, and have current CPR and First Aid certifications.

The OP ask about advise, mine is to obtain the necessary training and more importantly experience for this position.

I hadn't looked at the profile. If what is there is correct then the OP is still quite a bit away from meeting the qualifications. I don't even know if this is a NAUI course, which if it isn't the TA won't help anyway. I was just p[ointing out there is a shorter path than DM or AI top be able to assist. With under 25 dives he most likely doesn't have his own skills down well enough to assist someone in trouble, and trouble does happen. I have only been diving for 4 years and have 2 in water rescues under my belt. Both were on the surface and involved new divers in a state of panic. Aside from their mental state, as long as they didn't start ditching gear they were not in a lot of danger. I was probably in more danger from them than they were from themselves. My point being, at 24 dives, we would have both been in trouble.

THe above posters raise solid points about the rules, and personal liability. I read your OP slightly differently and saw the job as basically a gofor type job. As long as the Instructor and the qualified AIs meet the requirements and you're only an extra body helping out with lugging equipment, keeping notes, and such, it should be OK.

Check with the school as to exactly what your job will entail and what are your limits. Also ask the school which certifying agency they're working with, what are that agency's rules, and make sure that the course and you stay within those guidelines. Probably there'll be a line keeping you from any actual interaction with students. For your safety (physical and legal) stay on the right side of it, and within the limits of your job description.

The first part of your training aparently will entail learning about the instruction process, so you're already ahead.

Sorry if I wasn't clear enough. I wont actually be doing anything related to instructing. The only interaction I will have with students is grading( it is a PE class as well as a NAUI class) and making sure no one if goofing off...no to serious will be put in my hands.

swmarc:
Sorry if I wasn't clear enough. I wont actually be doing anything related to instructing. The only interaction I will have with students is grading( it is a PE class as well as a NAUI class) and making sure no one if goofing off...no to serious will be put in my hands.

Sounds like you are very serious about your dive training....Best wishes!

Don Wray gave you all the details, but he neglected the nail in the coffin.

And that is: Liability Insurance.

As a current member of a recognized training agency, you will either be required to, or have the opportunity to purchase liability insurance. You may even be covered through another avenue.

Might want to get all the paperwork on file before you "jump in".
When teaching (or TAing) at a university, insurance may be irrelevant. Te institution usually has a blanket teaching liability that will cover you much better than agency insurance. Be sure that you are "official" that is to say that you have a paper signed at the Dean or Director level that identifies you and your role.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom