Superday

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No problem with the hover, the performance requirement has been changed so the students need to obtain neutral bouyancy, it doesn't specify how.

Yes, thats why I said hovering as opposed to fin pivoting.

I would say it was a totally unsuitable place to do OW2.

But hey, what do I know, I only went there every other day for 3 years!!!

So I can see that you Phuket guys can have a cheap go at me. As far as I can see, you can keep plugging away with safety issues and the like on this public forum. Safety is an emotive subject as we all know.

It seems that there is no point to defend the PADI Pro for his decision, but I will. The fact that he used his good judgement on the conditions on that day, and not on the conditions any of you found in the past or even now as you type away on your keyboards in the comfort of your offices. I'm sure there are many PADI Pros around the world who would envy our choice of sites. Those who have to do DSDs on the end of a rope etc. On the safety of his students, there is no case to answer.

As for my company, my instructors use the Shark Point area only for AOW training. The chances to find Anemone Reef as calm as that day are found only a few times a month. My diesel is better burnt taking OW students to our local sites or Phi Phi. That instructor also had that option if he had decided to call the dive.

He did what every good PADI Pro does every day, made a call on conditions to make sure his divers are safe and happy.

OK, maybe that's how it was. But taking OW students doing training dives on a pinnacle covered in anemones and corals with no place to stand/sit down on is just not right even if his divers were "safe and happy".
The anemone reef, shark point and king cruiser wreck shouldn't be used as Open Water Diver training sites ever, period.
:D

Krabi VS Phuket?
I thought Krabi only had rock climbing and beaches filled with old people....

When I first got here, I must admit, I got a bit depressed seeing lots of old Scandinavians on their morning strolls on the beach! Now the place is going through an update, with some new resorts being built. The backpackers are moving on and let's hope we get some divers in with some money!

When I first got here, I must admit, I got a bit depressed seeing lots of old Scandinavians on their morning strolls on the beach! Now the place is going through an update, with some new resorts being built. The backpackers are moving on and let's hope we get some divers in with some money!

When I worked in Krabi there seemed to be only German (speaking) tourists about with the majority staying in the Krabi Resort and Phra Nang Inn Hotel. Raillay Beach had a few huts (and buffaloes!) where the Dusit Rayavadee is situated nowadays and a good place to get a smoke. We did 2 tank daytrip divetours with longtail boat to Hin Musang (Sharkpoint) and PP island leaving at 07:00 AM and returning at about 19:00 PM!! Those were loooong diving days....
Ao Nang has changed a lot since then and is now becoming more and more a real tourist destination. I doubt though if it ever will become a divers-destination because although the local diving is quite ok, it's not fantastic. Imo Ao Nang is a great destination though for student divers and the casual holiday diver.

Where will the Coral Reef Squadron be in relation to boat travel time from Krabi? Is that still going ahead in October? This could have a positive impact if not too far away.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom