Just got back from la paz.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Staticdiver

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Well i just spent a week diving in la paz. it was very nice diving. probably a bit more advanced than i should have been diving. but i was always comfortable except one dive which i ended very quickly. lol. but i was kinda annoyed with some of the stuff i saw. the dm where using the coral to pull them selves along. i don't know if thats common practice down there or in really strong current. I was tough to not touch anything if possible. also on the 1st few dives i went down with the dm. and i signaled 1/2 tank and asked which way the boat was and he kinda just swam away. and after i called off my dive. i was on the boat and people where doing there safety stops and he asked why they weren't surfacing. he only stops if he has to decompress. the other dm was amazing. she seemed to be every where at once.

La Paz is too far north to have tropical coral, the stuff the DM was touching was probably as hard as rock. While they teach "don't touch anything", when you get to now the environment your diving in you will learn what it's ok to grab and what to leave alone. Many of the dive there have such strong current (as in horizontal safety stops on the anchor line) that you have to drag yourself over the bottom until you are in the lee of the rock or wreck.

As you noted, the dive in La Paz tend to be advanced, and so do the divers. Did you let the DM know your level of experience before the dive? If so, he definitely should have given you better support.

As to the safety stop, when I started scuba in 1973, safety stops were only done on decompression dives. It wasn't until I dove in La Paz that I became aware it had become the norm, at least on boat dives.

Glad you enjoyed the diving in La Paz, I love the place. If you can dive there you can be confident of diving almost anywhere.

ya they knew i wasn't the strongest diver. and they knew my air consumption was horrible. but oh well it was amazing. but very strong current. and bad vis on the wrecks. but it was my a really nice trip. I plan on going back next fall. thx for the info..

p.s. i guess the dm found 100 baby hammer heads on the beach that had been finned. and when she reported it the shut down fishing for 2 weeks and that was it.

This viz gets better in late September & October. Bad viz and the currents in the Sea of Cortez are caused by tidal flow. If you can plan your trip for periods of minimal tide change the conditions will usually be better.

you probably should have posted this in the Mexico Forum. I am sure many SBers there would like to discuss with you your experiences.:D

ill do that thanks

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

posts merged and moved to mexico forum

Last edited by a moderator:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom