Looking for infomation on a first aid kit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

floridascuba

Reaction score
Hello everyone wondering if you guys can give me some advice about what I should but in my first aid kit? Any suggestions I am trying to put one together. Thanks and I hope everyone has a great day.

If you are just wanting a first aid kit, go out and buy one. They aren't that expensive and come in a nice box.You will probably pay a lot more for the individual pieces to put one together plus the ready made kits come with a manual. If you are determined to build your own, here is a basic list:
first-aid manual
sterile gauze
adhesive tape
adhesive bandages in several sizes
elastic bandage
antiseptic wipes
soap
antibiotic cream (triple-antibiotic ointment)
antiseptic solution (like hydrogen peroxide)
hydrocortisone cream (1%)
acetaminophen and ibuprofen
extra prescription medications
tweezers
sharp scissors
safety pins
disposable instant cold packs
calamine lotion
alcohol wipes or ethyl alcohol
thermometer
plastic gloves (at least 2 pairs)
flashlight and extra batteries
mouthpiece for administering CPR (can be obtained from your local Red Cross)
your list of emergency phone numbers

I utilized a variety of sources but mostly went to this place:

First Aid Supplies Bandages

I got a pelican 1400 case to hold everything accept the gauze rolls which I put in a 1st aid bag.

I included this kit also:

Deluxe Suture & Syringe Kit Nitro-Pak.com The World Leader in Innovative & Affordable Preparedness Gear

I added an insect/snake bit kit too.

total cost was huge compared to a commercially available kit but I have a much larger selection and can treat just about anything.

some items I have used and found very hands are:

SAM splints
#11 scalpel blades
eye magnet (I work in a welding shop)
ace wraps or cohesive bandages
burn cream and sunscreen
triangular bandages
duct tape.

What you have, although maybe appropriate for your needs, goes way beyond a first aid kit. The vast majority of people do not need, nor are they qualified to use, a suture kit.

True, I wont argue qualifications and I hope I never need it either but having it and knowing how to use it is a good thing especially for someone who spends his time in the woods or on a boat. Most commercially available kits offer everything the average person would need or want but ya never know.

I utilized a variety of sources but mostly went to this place:

First Aid Supplies Bandages

I got a pelican 1400 case to hold everything accept the gauze rolls which I put in a 1st aid bag.

I included this kit also:

Deluxe Suture & Syringe Kit Nitro-Pak.com The World Leader in Innovative & Affordable Preparedness Gear

I added an insect/snake bit kit too.

total cost was huge compared to a commercially available kit but I have a much larger selection and can treat just about anything.

some items I have used and found very hands are:

SAM splints
#11 scalpel blades
eye magnet (I work in a welding shop)
ace wraps or cohesive bandages
burn cream and sunscreen
triangular bandages
duct tape.

I'm curious about the eye magnet. One of my sons has been through 2 episodes of metal chunk in eye.
I already found several sources but I wonder about the chances of using it on oneself. Is the magnet super powerful that you just pass it next to the eye and the particle flies out, or do you have to actually have contact wit the eye and rub until the chunk is out?

Back
Top Bottom