Zeagle Zena vs. Oceanic Hera?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IndyJ

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all,
I am looking to buy a new BC, and can't decide between the zeagle zena and the oceanic hera. Does anyone have experience with both? Thanks!

While I can't claim personal experience with either of these two ladies BCD's, (where they are curved, I'm warped) I can tell you the feedback I've gotten from customers who have tried both. While both are excellent BCDs, after actually trying both, many choose the Zena. The reasons given are 1) The Zena's rip cord system is easier to use than the Hera's buckle system, especially in cold water while wearing thick gloves. 2) The Zena is more comfortable all round, but especially when inflated. The Hera has the "squeeze effect" associated with all jacket BCDs when it's fully inflated.. 3) The Zena has more weight capacity - 34lbs total vs 30 lbs for the Hera. 4) The Zena's contoured fit is more streamlined than the Hera. The split is around 80% for the Zena and 20% for the Hera.
Your best bet is to "try before you buy" if at all possible.
Let me know how you make out!
Safe Diving,
George
PADI MSDT

My wife dives an Hera and she loves it. It was down to the Hera and Zena for her, and she stated that she likes the squeeze feeling from filling the bladder, so she decided on the Hera. When placing the order, ScubaToys stated that the Zena and Hera are their two best-selling women's BCs. My guess is that you won't be disappointed no matter which one you choose. While getting our OW certs, she was having issues with the men's BCs digging into her womanly hips, and she states that she has no issues at all with the Hera and is extremely happy with it. Good luck!

Jose

My wife dives the Zena, and loves it. Her only complaint is that it can occasionally ride up... (Maybe I'll install a crotch strap for her).

I purchased the Zena in April 2008 when I was at Ocean Fest in Ft. Lauderdale after two boat dives because I was fed up with the rental BCs riding up my torso which caused me to continously tug at the BC throughout the dives. No matter how tight I adjusted the BC it continued to ride up my torso.

I got off the boat and headed right into a dive shop. Tried on several women BCs and found the fit on Zeagle Zena to be the best for my body (boobs and waist were happiest in Zena). I'd never even heard of Zeagle (being a Newbie) but the fit convinced me that it was the right BC for me. I also like the ripcord system and the intergrated weights. You can put weights on the small of your back on either side of the tanks and weights in the front by the waistline.

The next day I did two dives with my new Zena, first one was a wreck dive to The Rebel at 107ft. Despite encountering wicked currents on the descent line I never once had to adjust the Zena when I got into the water nor did I have to adjust it during the entire dive. After the dive, you just unzip and you're out of the BC, for the next dive, you zip it back on, no need to adjust again and I was back in the water with a great fitted BC.

I lost some weight from the time I first purchased the Zena in April to my next dive trip in July when I was in Costa Rica getting my AOW so I had to purchase a new size small Zena BC two weeks ago. I gave my size medium Zena to a fellow SB'er friend and she loves the Zena fit as well. I'll be taking my new Zena to Cancun on Aug 15th to dive cenotes and hopefully see whale sharks.

I'm not a big fan of being squeezed or pinched when BCs are inflated. It's a personal decision but fit is the most important factor when choosing the right BC for your body type. I don't believe you can go wrong with either BC but again FIT is key.

Good luck and I hope this helps!!

My first and only BC is a Zena. The only other experience I have is the dive shop rentals. I love my Zena. I have not found it to ride up. The zipper front allows me to have it on and off in seconds.

I just bought an Oceanic Hera and I love it! I'm about average height, about 130 pounds and I got a size small and it fits beautifully. I don't feel squeeze at all! It keeps me well balanced on the surface too and for shore diving, I can carry the tank, weights and all much more easily than with any of the rentals I've tried (mostly men's size small or Tusa Selene size small). It has plenty of d-rings and big pockets and the weights are very easy to load. I never tried the Zena, but I don't think I would like the front zip feature..

Thanks a lot for the input. I have tried the Hera, but I still have not found a retailer here in SF/Bay Area that carries the Zena, so that I can try it on. Does anyone know of a diveshop?

Back
Top Bottom