Oman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am thinking about Oman for a short diving holiday in June.
I will be travelling as a woman on my own (but on a package tour).

How about bigger stuff (eagle rays, sharks etc.) in June?
How about diving conditions (rough sea, current, visibility)?

Need to go on a liveaboard?

All advice will be appreciated.

Yours,
Liberty

I am thinking about Oman for a short diving holiday in June.
I will be travelling as a woman on my own (but on a package tour).

How about bigger stuff (eagle rays, sharks etc.) in June?
How about diving conditions (rough sea, current, visibility)?

Need to go on a liveaboard?

All advice will be appreciated.

Yours,
Liberty

Hi Liberty,

Try Oman Dive Centre, they are about 15 minutes in a car from Muscat City Centre, have daily boat dives. Oman Dive Center - The official site - You can call in advance and ask about viz and biggies.

Let us know how it goes.

Best Regards
Richard (Riger)

I did 3 dives with them in December. Didn't see any of the big stuff but still plenty to see. Saw a huge number of brightly coloured morays at one site. Vis was 4-5m on a couple of dives and less than 2m on the other. but I think vis in June will be a lot better.

I did 6 dives in november '06 around Muscat(Fahal,Daymaniyat) and saw few zebra sharks and eagle rays,a lot of moray eels and some snakes at surface

Hey guys. Just felt like chiming in to say that I will be studying in Muscat from august-mid december. I am hoping to get some time off to go diving. If I do, I will definitely have some questions to ask here!

Can anyone share some common costs of Oman in Rials or USD? I'm thinking of a visit to Oman and am trying to figure out how much pocket money to take

How much for a 2-3 star hotel room, doesn't have to be a fancy resort, 2 tank dives, How much do you local guys typically tip a dive guide?

What does a small rental car cost per day roughly? When you go out for lunch or dinner, how much for an "average" resteraunt meal, how much for a beer or drink in the hotel, and what is the average tip in % or in Rials or USD? I like to help out the local people and tend to tip on their wages of they earn, not what my meal cost. Most people aren't getting rich being a waiter in a resteraunt or as a dive guide. What a minimum wage salary is or common worker salary in Oman?

If I were to take over gifts for the locals, dive guides or hotel staff, what are some hard to get items over there that I can take for them? Sometimes simply things I take for granted like sunglasses, quality t-shirts or sandals, chewing gum, balloons for the kids, coloring books, are hard to get for working class people.

I'm just trying to get a feel of the economy and costs for a trip over there. I've dove all over the world, but not in that area and am uninformed of Arabic culture so I appreciate your suggestion and info......thank you! :D

oki....The Omani Riyal is tied to the dollar...RO 1 = US$ 2.6 ...

costs...well...Muscat is usually more expensive than the rest of the country...rental car..starts at about OR15 so about US$37...from now on all prices will be in OR...

diving (w/o eq), 2 tanks and weights - about OR30...

hotels..well..check Lonely Planet's website...if you want something cheap, clean and pretty good location, we use the Al Naseem Hotel in Muttrah (they definitely don't have a website)...(c8
hotels...2-3stars won't serve alcohol, you would have to use at least 4stars for that - they are the ones with permits...prices differ a lot..from RO1 and up...

meals...starts at Bz500 (half a Riyal) up to..however much you want to pay...wraps can be bought anywhere and most coffeeshops serve food in one way or another..
People don't really tip here in Oman, usually a dive center would have a tipping box in the reception but individual tipping..not really...same with restaurants...but if you want to...10% at restaurants is generous...

You can basically get anything you want here...I wouldn't bring any 'gifts' at all..

Cheers
Ian

I just did a 1 day (2 dives) in Sewadi, I stayed at Sewadi resort, not sure how many stars but I realy liked it specialy with the summer offer they are having right now, they have a very good dive centre and freindly local poeple working there and yes some tipping can help, paid 32 OR for 2 tanks and wts using my own gears. I have some pictures from that trip in my gallery.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom