Would you dive alone in a recovery situation? (not for you solo divers)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If someone called and said they dropped a wallet or keys or someting of that sort(small and light) would you go out alone to go out and get it for a few hundred bucks? Or to hook achain on a car that drove off in the water? I think I personally would if it was less than say 40 ft of water especially if had dove it before? How do yall fell on this????

I would have to say that no, if it was not an important thing, like a wallet or something. If it were somebody's keys, or a ring, I'd probably do it. I agree with what was earlier said. Two divers, if not using perfect trim and kicking, have an excellent chance of messing the search up by silting the bottom

Id have no problem doing that (other than the fact it'd be illegal here for money to be involved). Whatever the depth if my kit is suitable and there's a fair chance of recovering the object.

Circular search patterns over mud are best done solo anyway.

As Nemrod said "You don't want solo diver imput, even though you contemplate solo diving, hmm."
Diference between "solo divers" and others is experience & confidence.
I don't reccomend it to others, but here in the Keys we do a bit of solo diving/hunting.

Ooooh I have an opinion. But I'm being silenced...:no

Within your comfort zone, abilities, ... and ca$h ... why not? People do other things everyday that are just as life threatening (from high altitude building construction & maintenance, mountain climbing, motorcycling, etc.). Again, the key elements are WITHIN YOUR ABILITIES AND COMFORT ZONE.

If that little voice in your head tells you it's not a good idea, you had better listen to it and call me or the others that will ... ca$h up front, of course (just because we can).

If someone called and said they dropped a wallet or keys or someting of that sort(small and light) would you go out alone to go out and get it for a few hundred bucks? Or to hook achain on a car that drove off in the water? I think I personally would if it was less than say 40 ft of water especially if had dove it before? How do yall fell on this????

Someone with your limited experience shouldn't even think about it. :no Take a buddy with you, it will be more fun and you can split the money.

I have a friend who can find a needle on a silty bottom, a week after it fell in. I'd just call him.

Seriously, though, though I don't do recreational dives solo, i.e. I don't just cruise around solo, a specific task, if properly planned, with proper equipment and training, is ok to do. On a recreational dive, divers become more relaxed and complacent than when they've got a job to do. Relaxed and complacent can result in trouble more frequently than when one is focused on a task.

BTW: When I did the PADI search and recovery training, we learned to do an expanding circle search. It entailed one buddy at the center of the circle with a rope and the other swimming in circles with the other end of the rope. In very short order, we became "same ocean buddies." So even PADI recognizes the concept, if only implicitly.

I might do it but, if I had a chance I would take another diver with me. Maybe they swim 10 feet above for safety.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom