Fear of deep water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Greetings CeeTee and welcome to SB! In your upcomming training you will learn how to control your buoyancy, that is how to maintain your depth and position in the water. This is a very important skill that takes some practice and time to master. Proper wieghting goes hand and hand with buoyancy and is just as important. Once you understand and fully comprehend "experience" the actual skill I really believe you will feel better. But one important consideration is to always dive with in your limits and comfort level. Practice your skills and progress in your training never stop learning and take small steps to help overcome your issues whatever they are. Find a dive buddy who will help and be patient. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress. CamG Keep diving....keep training....keep learning!

.......Since you're already comfortable in water over your head (I assume you're not 10' tall) you're not totally afraid of the water and should be able to work through it with some coaching and confidence building.......

Controling buoyancy is the first step. From there, I totally agree with Don (and others). Since you are not afraid of the water if it is deemed shallow by you but still over your head, the you will have an easier time getting past this. As other have said, understanding and getting used to (and relying on) the equipment is huge. Once you can do that, you can stand on the bottom of a pool with your eyes closed. You will be standing so it is unlikely that you would be more than 4 or 5 feet from the surface. This would allow you to imagine a deeper depth and as stated, as you feel the panic (or whatever you feel) coming on, you can take deep breaths (you are constantly breathing anyways though) realizing you are OK. If you are still uncomfortable, you can open your eyes and look up to see how close you are. This would of course all have to be done while in the pool with only your instructor but I am sure they will help you past it (this way or another much more effective way). Either way, learn the sport and the equipment and it is likely that you will be able to get past this. You will not regret pushing through and past this.

Safe journey.

The best way is easy. Don't look at the depth Gage. There is not a deference Intel you get 100 ft or so.LOL.

Make sure before you get started with class that you tell your instructor that you have this fear. This will allow him/her to pay more attention to you. I hate when one of my students don't tell me something like this and panic and bolt for the surface.

This is extremely important CeeTee to avoid serious injury to you and anyone else. Don't be embarrased to tell them. Your instructors should know from the very begining so they can help you work thru it.

The best way is easy. Don't look at the depth Gage. There is not a deference Intel you get 100 ft or so.LOL.

NEVER DO THIS!!!!!!! This is not even a good thing to joke about in this forum with a new diver. Always check your guages. You should be checking them constantly especially if your buoyancy is not superior.

You may want to figure out what the root cause of your fear is. This will help you over come the fear. I had a totally irrational fear once (and being over your head in water is not totally irrational as it can be a very dangerous situation if you are not a good swimmer). Once I figured out why I had the fear I was able to face it a lot better and now I am not bothered by it.

Taking the class is probably a good idea as it will help with the fear. Take your time, build your comfort level, it will be worth it.

What makes you so sure that fear of deep water is irrational?

You mentioned a fear of deep water, more than 10 ' - you probably can not stand up in 9' of water either. Also I think I am correct in saying that most of the scuba accidents happen at or very near the surface.

I don't mean this in any sort of a snarky way, I'm just trying to understand the problem...

If you are afraid of deep water, are you really sure scuba is for you? Can you swim comfortably and confidently in deep water? If you can't then that's what you should address first.

I had my first pool dive today!!!

I went into the 6' area of the pool for a brief period without a problem.

I'm not quite ready for SEAL Team 6 but...

So far, So good!!

CeeTee, can you actually swim? I mean really swim. On the surface and underwater? You sayyou snorkel-do you surface dive to see things close up?

I'm kinda with John B here. If you are afraid of deep water, why do you think you will be ok to dive? Are you taking up diving to combat your fear of deep water? If so--this is a bad idea, imo.

But good luck and don't be afraid to tell your instructor if you start feel anxious during any part of your pool session or open water dives especially.

Back
Top Bottom