Burleigh Falls Status?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PR_SMITH

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi All,

Has anyone dived Burleigh Falls recently? If so, is it suitable for a novice diver? Anyone have any pics they might post? I'm a novice diver looking for fun dives within 2 hours of Haliburton.

Thanks,

Smiffy6four

I was going to dive there over the weekend, but I heard through the LDS in Peterborough that the vis was bad...bad for burliegh, and that is pretty bad. Ended up diving the Marmora River for the first time. Lots of fish to see.

Thanks for the info; I'm still curious to find out if it is suitable for a novice diver....anyone?

Suggest being Novice, you would want to go with someone that has been there and knows the layout, entry / exit. We were there last weekend, vis was poor lots of particulate in the water, current still pretty fast. We stayed shallower due to poor vis & darkness 30ft, did the west island wall. Had to work a far bit to get back to shore even after pulling up the power line. In general depth 30 to 58 ft, beyond 30 ft suggest a light is required.

Another option for you being in Haliburton wolud be Clear Lake in Miner's Bay, Clear Lake Rd off Hwy 35. Easy access from the Rd. Entry at the west end of the lake, heading due north at 28 ft, 1930's car (in front of fist boat house). on the south side of the bay 40ft, rock wall and overhang/caves. Easy entry / exit. Being a thermocline lake be prepared for cold, 20 ft 55, 40 ft 45, 50 ft 39.

smiffy, I will pm you my number and send you some info.

Suggest being Novice, you would want to go with someone that has been there and knows the layout, entry / exit. We were there last weekend, vis was poor lots of particulate in the water, current still pretty fast. We stayed shallower due to poor vis & darkness 30ft, did the west island wall. Had to work a far bit to get back to shore even after pulling up the power line. In general depth 30 to 58 ft, beyond 30 ft suggest a light is required.
Thanks, that's the sort of stuff I need to know :)

Another option for you being in Haliburton wolud be Clear Lake in Miner's Bay, Clear Lake Rd off Hwy 35. Easy access from the Rd. Entry at the west end of the lake, heading due north at 28 ft, 1930's car (in front of fist boat house). on the south side of the bay 40ft, rock wall and overhang/caves. Easy entry / exit. Being a thermocline lake be prepared for cold, 20 ft 55, 40 ft 45, 50 ft 39.
Hi Matnik,

I've driven by Clear Lake(Miners Bay) but never thought to dive there. Newby question here, would a 7mm wetsuit be sufficient for the temps you kindly supplied? My dives so far have been in 24C water in Cuba. I just bought a 7mil wetsuit yesterday, was hoping to test it today, but thunderstorms had me abort the mission.

Smiffy

If anybodies interested, I'm game to try Clear Lake, maybe this weekend?

Not diving this weekend, house guests, I dive drysuit & drygloves now, but I have and others this year dove in 7 mill. Most of the things to see are at the 30 ft range, temps 45ish. Diving wet we tend to hover 20 to 30 to take advantage of warmer temps above the thermocline, 50+ not much to see. Hood & gloves dive though. Again bay is bowl shaped, north side 1930's car 28ft, rock wall south side you can push 50ft. Easy to navigate via compass.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom