Shore Dive - Mississauga/Oakville

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaSteve

Wow.....what a DB
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
A little while ago I was told there was a reasonable shore dive somewhere in Mississauga/Oakville (where you swim around a small point?). Does anybody out there know of anything like this? The way I look at it, that would be about 1 hour in each direction less than driving north for a couple of drives. We are not too picky about what we see as we simply want to get into the water. Any insight would be appreciated.

OK so maybe my original post was a little too specific. I do not care if I find this "swim around the point" dive site specifically. If anybody knows of any shore dive site in Mississauga or Oakville, I would love to hear about it. We are not overly picky about where we dive as long as it is not too disgusting (water that is). Any insight would be appreciated.

Well, since nobody had any information on ANY dive sites, I am forced to find my own new spots. First of all I am amazed nobody in this forum had anything to offer but I and my dive buddy have a couple spots that we are going to try out. Hopefully we do not get arrested for indecent exposure suit - had to slip that in. In all seriousness in the next month or so we will be trying two sites that may or may not be new to others (I have no way of knowing since everybody seems to be shy in this forum). If they are successes, I will share the locations (in Lake Ontario) so that others may enjoy them. If they are flops (which is most likely) I'll keep looking.

My dive book lists two at the mouth of the Humber river: Julia B Merrill and Sligo. I don't know of anything further west than that on Lake Ontario.

Any luck yet, Steve?

Have you tried buying one of the depth/boating charts from the Ministry of Forests and Fishies? They'll let you know where to go to find some depth.

My father-in-law just bought one for Georgian Bay because we've been looking for a spot somewhere near Craigleith or Meaford.

Any luck yet, Steve?

Have you tried buying one of the depth/boating charts from the Ministry of Forests and Fishies? They'll let you know where to go to find some depth.

My father-in-law just bought one for Georgian Bay because we've been looking for a spot somewhere near Craigleith or Meaford.

I have not had a chance to dive the sites yet Sparhawk. I also did not think about buying the depth chart from the Ministry. Did your FIL buy his on-line? I would like to know where he got them because I would like to get some for myself....I have possible sites on Lake Ontario as well as Georgian Bay and Lake Huron. Let me know where he got his. As for my diving....I need less under water than a lot to enjoy the dive so just because I enjoy it does not mean others will. No matter what, I will let people know what I think and let others judge for themselves. Hopefully others are doing what I am and there will be a bunch of new public sites come available. ESPECIALLY if they are local(ish).

He did order his online.
I was up at the Lock 21? on the Trent Severn Waterway (near Washago) earlier this summer and you could buy them out of the Ministry's Kiosk there. They just happened to be sold out of the Georgian Bay ones (apparently they're pretty popular).

On your website, you've got a shot of Guelph Lake. Have you been in there?

He did order his online.
I was up at the Lock 21? on the Trent Severn Waterway (near Washago) earlier this summer and you could buy them out of the Ministry's Kiosk there. They just happened to be sold out of the Georgian Bay ones (apparently they're pretty popular).

On your website, you've got a shot of Guelph Lake. Have you been in there?

I think what you are referencing is just a private pond off of Guelph Line....not Guelph Lake. Unfortunately diving is not permitted in any GRCA body of water (Guelph lake falls into this) except Elora Gorge. Plus Guelph lake is very shallow except at the dam which is just a bad idea all around obviously. I have looked extensively and there is not a lot of options around here....

I had asked where the nautical charts came from and found a source for them. It is great....I placed my order yesterday and got them today. Federal Publications Inc. Home Page seems to have a great operation so far. Unfortunately they do not have an example of exactly what you would get available online just so you can see it (nor is there dimensions on the actual maps/charts). That is the only real downside that I saw. They have most major Canadian bodies of water available. This is what they sent me as an example of what is available for Canada.

nautical-chart.jpg

Back
Top Bottom