What is the best wetsuit for the price?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Dan, after reviewing your profile, I'm assuming that you live in the Tampa area. If that's true, you're just a hop, skip and jump from Liquid Fit. I give all scuba board members a 10% disount. I'd love for you to see what we have to offer.

Good luck to you!
Carolyn
LiquidFit.Com ~ Wetsuits That Fit Like They Were Poured On You.

Thanks Carolin,

I guess the reason I'm still looking is that (before I buy) I'm intrigued by the claims of several different companies when they say, i.e., Wetware, that the different neoprene that they use is superior to all others and as in a Pinnacol ad, their 3 mil is equivalent to other 5 mil suits.

I generally dive with a 5 mil and it would be great if the claims were true and I could simply use a 3 mil most of the time and maybe include a hooded vest (which I wear a lot) when needing extra warmth. I'd hate to get a 3 mil and then find out that it is not warm enough for most dives. Even in the tropics and South Pacific, I have found that I need a 5 mil for multiple dives.

Another nice feature is zippers on the arms and legs. On multiple dives, easy on and off are nice features if you don't sacrifice water flow.

I haven't seen your product, but in the price wise, WOW!

I check out your suit for cave/technical divers on your website. I might be able to get a decent used DUI dry suit at your price range.

I am not sure what "made in USA" menas to you though. In the quality aspect, U.S. made automobile has more minor problems than the imported one.

It is depending on how the quality control is made, not where it is made.

Just my 2 bar.

Hi Hoosier,

I just wanted to clarify what you saw on our website. Under cave and technical diving we have our G-231 wetsuits. These suits are made with Rubatex G-231 neoprene, which is more than what the average diver needs.

The process in which G-231 is made is far more complex than standard neoprene. The G-231 is extruded in sheets up to approximately 1/2 inch thick. The sheet is then placed in a chamber in which pure nitrogen is injected under extremely high pressure to form nitrogen cells. This process creates very small consistent cells with a thick cell wall. The thicker the cell wall the more pressure the cell can withstand without losing nitrogen gas.

G-231 is the only neoprene that can be dove in excess of 150 feet and to depths of more than 300 feet without experiencing a collapse of the neoprene.

These suits are worn by many Technical divers that do not want to dive dry. We also used this material to make dry suit hoods. So when looking at our prices for a sport diving wetsuit, I would recommend looking at the NCN pricing under sport diving. This is also Rubatex neoprene with nitrogen cells. The nitrogen cells in this material are just not as dense. Our NCN neoprene is only rated to 80 before it starts to receive some compression, and even then it is very little. This is good enough for most sport divers, and definitely far better than a neoprene blend or CR material.

I hope I have been able to clear up the pricing confusion. In actuality our prices are very comparable to most top of the line wetsuits.

I agree with Nemrod.
The best wetsuit is the one that fits.
I'm not abnormally shaped person but Bare is the only company that makes a suit that fits me properly.

One reason for confusion is that most neoprene has nitrogen bubbles in it, but the bubble aren't necessarily blown - one the cheaper stuff they mix stuff into the neoprene that gives off nitrogen as the neoprene is heated. However this does not create as uniform bubbles as the blowing process. So the question to ask if you are looking for a top quality neoprene is not whether it has nitrogen bubbles, but how they were made. Also most neoprene now is a blend of chloroprene (the generic name for neoprene) and other cheaper resins like SBR. The more neoprene, the better.

Rubatex used to rule. It was clearly better than any of the other neoprenes, and the G-231 probably still is, or is at least as good as anything else on the market. But the feeling is that the other manufacturers have been catching up, with the cheaper grades of Rubatex especially, and many of the custom shops have found products from other manufacturers which they feel are just as good.

Back when Rubatex was king you could find the G231 in entry level suits - my second wetsuit was a $200 G231 suit from Berry Scuba. I sold the suit, which was always a bit too small (idiot that I was then, to believe the fitting charts) but I kept the hood, which is still in terrific shape despite outlasting 2 non-Rubatex suits.

Curious about something......why do no other wetsuit companies (besides wetwear) use the fabric rubatex???

Curious about something......why do no other wetsuit companies (besides wetwear) use the fabric rubatex???

There are a few reasons.

1) Cost. The Rubatex material is more expensive than the blends and CR neoprene. Just like anything else you buy overseas verses in the USA.

2) Turn a round. A Rubatex suit lasts more than twice as long as a blended or CR neoprene suit. The average diver will buy two - three suits compared to one Rubatex suit.

3) Stretch ability. The blended and CR neoprenes are super stretchy, while the Rubatex is not as stretchy. It still has stretch but not to the degree of being able to squeeze 5 different size people in the same size suit. When these blended neoprene suits are stretched out to fit some people, you loose a lot of the thickness and warmth. This is also why all of our suits are custom made.

Rubatex is the material everyone use to use before all the imports came on the market. If you look back 15 -20 years ago wetsuits lasted a lot longer, and people could dive them in freezing cold waters and stay warm. There were very few dry suit companies because people stayed warm in their wetsuits. Now people can't stay warm in their 7 mm suit in even 60 degree water, because it compresses so much. So what do they do........ they go out and buy a dry suit. In a Rubatex suit we have people diving in 45 degree water without a problem.

I hope I have answered you question..... and I will tell you why we do use Rubatex still when no one else dose.....Because we believe in making a product that is durable and is going to keep our customer warmer and last them longer.

two cents worth:

A custom wetsuit is very important for a good fit if you are going to dive alot & want to stay warm.
A good quality rubber like "heiwa" medium density will keep you very warm especially if you have a farmers bottom and beaver tail pullover with front zip. {5 or 7 mill }
Also a good idea is to have a painted open cell inside and nylon 1 out.
Most importantly especially if your spending $ is find a good wetsuit company that will give you the best quality work like Elios-sub that i have found out to be the one of the BEST, for I have 1 scuba & 2 freediving wetsuits.
I'am very please and especially warm with my custom from elios.

safe diving all:

I've heard rumors on more than one occasion that Rubatex is either going out of business or is going bankrupt. That wouldn't suprise me if Wetwear is the only company supporting them.

Don't be afraid to look outside the box for a wetsuit. I picked up a 3/2 O'neil for $38. It was at my local big outdoor shop. They have a decent scuba section. It was over $100, marked down 50% off, then I had a coupon for $10 off anything in store.

Happened to fit me really well, almost as well as the Bare 3/2 I was planning on getting before I stumbled upon this one. I don't know what type of neoprene it is. The quality of the stitching seems to be good. It's pretty easy to put on and take off and it keeps me warm in all the diving I do, including some springs.

For someone just getting into diving with a limited budget it worked out perfect for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom