Tank Advice - First Time Buying

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks again everyone for your input... as a clarification, my choice is not between 1 single tank vs. 2 doubled tanks, but rather purchasing two separate tanks now that can be doubled in the future.

I like the HP100's, but being on the bigger side am considering slightly bigger tanks. Has any used either the X7-120's or the X8-119's? I like the X7's as they would stay a little closer to my body and once doubled would be 10lbs lighter. My questions is will they be too long at 28in since I am only 6'3". I do not want tanks that will hit my legs or the back of my head...

Thanks!

To follow up on your question about size, I'm 6'2" and 200 lbs. I haven't doubled 130s up yet. I know several people who dive double 130s. They aren't tossing these tanks around but they get help when its time to lift them.

Bill.

Thanks again everyone for your input... as a clarification, my choice is not between 1 single tank vs. 2 doubled tanks, but rather purchasing two separate tanks now that can be doubled in the future.

I like the HP100's, but being on the bigger side am considering slightly bigger tanks. Has any used either the X7-120's or the X8-119's? I like the X7's as they would stay a little closer to my body and once doubled would be 10lbs lighter. My questions is will they be too long at 28in since I am only 6'3". I do not want tanks that will hit my legs or the back of my head...

Thanks!

Only 6' 3" :rofl3: I know a lot of people a lot smaller than you that comfortably use the 120...

From a weight point of view... I would suggest that you compare the Faber FX-117 versus the X7-120's... The difference between the 119 and their 130 is so small, one might as well get 130's...but the Faber 117 is lighter.

How a tank fits you is more about how long your body is... I'm a little guy, at a short 6 ft... but I have short legs (31 inch).. If you are 6'3" and have 36 inch inseam.. there might be a concern.

Note: I also have long arms and am approaching the shape of an upland gorilla.

What I would guess is that you will be able to feel the tank on your butt....and that is about it...I notice that with any tank longer that 27 inches for me..

Note2: I would suggest putting the valve in the same position regardless of the tank size...where you can reach it.

How about doubling up 130's? Is that excessive? Is there a disadvantage to bringing slightly larger tanks besides they weight more on the surface?

I guess the choice now is 100's, 120's or 130's....

longdive.jpg

How about doubling up 130's? Is that excessive? Is there a disadvantage to bringing slightly larger tanks besides they weight more on the surface?

I guess the choice now is 100's, 120's or 130's....

Going from 100's to 120's is roughly 10 lbs for the tanks, and a couple pounds of air. Going to the 130's...adds another 12 lbs or so (remember when filled the extra air also has weight).

There is a point where that will get difficult to handle, depending on a person's strength. I like double 100's, as the weight is not difficult. Double 120's is not that much fun and double 130's is a major strain getting on and off a boat..but I am old and weak.

Note: If I ever had double 130's, I would use a dolly to move them any distance...

I really like HP 100s, they are very versatile tanks and would make a great 1st tank purchase. As you notice most of us who've been around a while have multiple tanks and sizes. I'm willing to bet you'll end up with several additional tanks of varying sizes if you dive for a while. I've got 2-50's, 3-80's and 2-100's in my garage right now. I'm going to get rid of the 80's and pick up some 95's, 117's, 119's or 120's in the next year or two. That being said I really like those 100's and will do most of my dives with them.

I'm 6'2" 240 and trim out well with 100's or 120's. The 120's tend to smack me in the back of the head though. I tend to be foot heavy and need to move the tank higher on my back to trim out. Steel tanks hold their value well so if you end up not liking the ones you select they aren't hard to get rid of.

AL

Thanks everyone for the advice. Ok... so this seems to be mostly personal preference, but I think the 130's have been eliminated. Which only leaves tanks in the 100-120 range.

So this is my last tank question (for now). When you look at the Faber FX100 it is listed on DiversDirect as 30.39" tall, yet on LP the the X7-100 is listed as 24in (even the X7-120 at 28 in). Are Faber tanks that much taller than Worthington / Pressed Steel or is the LP height listed without valves? Could it be that I am missing something else? Thanks again!

That must be a typo. The chart on TDL lists the Faber FX-100 as 25.39, the PST E7-100 as 24.12, and the Worthington X7-100 as 24in tall without valves. These are all HP 7.15" diameter tanks.

I agree with everyone above that tank selection is personal preference, and depends on the type of divig you will be doing. My favorite tank for single tank diving is the HP100, by far. It has much better bouyancy characteristics than an AL80, smaller and lighter than an 80, and you can shed about 6lbs of lead, making for a much lighter rig.

I dive double LP-85's. I find them great for shore diving, but they're a little small for comfort when making two deep dives off a boat. I like alot of reserve, 1/3 of my back gas belongs to my buddy. My buddy has double HP130's and loves them. I'm considering a set of those or LP108's.

There's many options, and even more opinions. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom