What to take and who to dive with in Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cozumel in July is reasonably warm I would be in my 0.5MM Henderson Microprene. I have had bad experience with rental equipment in the past always bring my own. When I Cozumel I have been diving with PAPA HOGS since ............. well a long time. I usually rent a scooter so I have never asked to be picked up.

With regard to Airline bags I recommend you closely check the Airlines policy on line many Airlines only allow one bag on domestic flights. For international flights the allow 2. Your situation may be different but it can't hurt to check I just booked for TCI and Flying American that is the policy. I always carried my reg and computer on board so I'm used to that.

Enjoy your trip.

With regard to Airline bags I recommend you closely check the Airlines policy on line many Airlines only allow one bag on domestic flights. For international flights the allow 2. Your situation may be different but it can't hurt to check I just booked for TCI and Flying American that is the policy. I always carried my reg and computer on board so I'm used to that.
That's a very good point. If you are flying Viva Aerobus, for example, they allow one suitcase, one carry on, and one purse, computer bag etc to bring on the plane too. If you are bringing sporting equipment such as dive gear they charge and extra $50 or so each way for the bag. Personally, I'd pay the $100 and bring my gear. I always pack my soft stuff and bring my regs, can light, and computers on the plane in my carry on.

There are a lot of good shops on Coz but I like Deep Blue and Aldora, they pickup and treat you great. A lot of folks brag on Christi with Blue XTSea. I always dive a 3m full and would say if you are going to dive more than a couple of days take your own gear and at least your reg and computer.

I always feel more secure with my own equipment, but it can be a hassle to lug it around. Some airlines consider Mexico to be domestic--meaning that second checked bag is charged. Go figure. The taxi drivers have a union in Cozumel, which explains why the dive ops can't pick you up and drive you to the marina. If you have to cab it to Caleta make sure you agree on the price before leaving--it will always vary. We love Ventura Nah (Buena Ventura Diving Cozumel) for a small, quick boat and personalized service. Have a great trip

So to clarify...this is my actual 3rd trip to Coz. Both other times I've rented equipment. Dove with Black Shark and another which I can't remember (have to check the dive log when I get home). I do usually wear just a bathing suit and a t shirt. Never had any problems. BUT.........

I've got brand new equipment this year (BCD, Reg/Computer, Mask, Fins, Snorkel...etc). Only dove with it twice.

Since I'm an American Airlines Gold Member(and we are traveling American Airlines DFW to MIA to COZ), I can check two bags free of charge. I guess what I'll do is pack a huge suitcase with all our equipment in it and keep it under the 50lb limit.

I'm probably going with PEPE since they are right inside the Coral Princess where we are staying. UNLESS anyone can tell me different why we should not dive them.

Another worry is the car insurance. People drive like maniacs down there. Should I purchase the rental agency insurance or just deal with mine? I'm checking tomorrow to see if I'm covered in Coz.

I'm definately purchasing DAN insurance for all 3 of us as well.

I'll be down there Sept 16-24, not sure where I am staying yet though I have checked out the Coral Princess, looks pretty nice.

I have always dove with a 3mil full, but thats just me. I will have to check out a dive skin.

We use Del Mar Aquatics..
They are just awesome people.. Bored? Want to shore dive but want someone to show you neat stuff? Stop by in the early afternoon, odds are, the diver working there is bored and wants to get wet too.. we did that for most of the week after our 2 dives and before the night dives..

They have lockers you have store your gear in over night if you wish. They picked us up every morning and had our gear setup for us on the boat. Was great!

We pay with CC so we settle up at the end. Then I go around and tip the divers and staff appropriately..

If you want to get a video of your dive, you simply ask for Ceasar.. He will show up on your boat, do a video and afterwards, at about 6pm, he will show the video for everyone at the hotel. If you like it, you buy.. if not, no loss. $65-75 for the video. Prices go down the more you buy from him..
He does an amazing job having videoed my wife back in 1994 and then both of our dives in 2007 and 2008.

Dont miss the night dive and for a lights out moment to play with the bio lumis.. Very fun!

I have a dive family as well. This year it was Me, my wife and our 14 yr old. Next year, we will have add my 10 and 11 yr olds as well.. (11 yr old is already done with her OW..)

Being that dive equipment is life support, we only use our own and have no issue taking it there with us.
When in Cozumel, we typically rent a car. If you wish to do this, I suggest doing so before your trip, then, when you get there, act like a lost wayward tourist, and ask where the car rental places are, they will show you to one of their timeshare agents who will then haggle with you (if you wish) for your car. We ended up getting a pretty decent rate for the car (We rented 2 last trip and essentially, one was free) for killing one morning at their time share. Love to watch their sales pitch and see how they try and justify someone spending $50K and up over 1 hour presentation.. haha

We never buy but seemingly always take the discounts and the time killer demonstration.

Last edited:
So to clarify...this is my actual 3rd trip to Coz. Both other times I've rented equipment. Dove with Black Shark and another which I can't remember (have to check the dive log when I get home). I do usually wear just a bathing suit and a t shirt. Never had any problems. BUT.........

I've got brand new equipment this year (BCD, Reg/Computer, Mask, Fins, Snorkel...etc). Only dove with it twice.

Since I'm an American Airlines Gold Member(and we are traveling American Airlines DFW to MIA to COZ), I can check two bags free of charge. I guess what I'll do is pack a huge suitcase with all our equipment in it and keep it under the 50lb limit.

I'm probably going with PEPE since they are right inside the Coral Princess where we are staying. UNLESS anyone can tell me different why we should not dive them.

Another worry is the car insurance. People drive like maniacs down there. Should I purchase the rental agency insurance or just deal with mine? I'm checking tomorrow to see if I'm covered in Coz.

I'm definately purchasing DAN insurance for all 3 of us as well.

I don't know anything about PEPE but my advice to you is don't screw around my friend, dive with Aldora. I've been to Coz 3x as well and no one else was even close. Didn't read all of the posts but if you are they are to do some kickass deep diving and do not want to be on a cattleboat they are the ones to dive with. They'll get you to the best spots, punta sur, columbia deep, etc.. They also use bigger tanks so you'll consistently be doing 1 hr. + dives (nodeco).

Definitely will not need a wetsuit unless you prefer them. You can dive coz any time of year without a wetsuit.

We're going to Coz August 14-21. Staying at Iberostar Hotel and using Dive with Martin. I don't think they pick up north of the pier..but that might have changed. Their email is divewithmartin@gmail.com incase you want to ask them. They have good prices and good divemasters..and a free video with a dive package. See their website for more details..but with your family it might save you some money. We've used them for years and no problems. Maybe we'll meet on the boat !!

Back
Top Bottom