The Boynton Dive Chronicles (new and improved)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ripping currents off Boynton. More at 11:00.

Yesterday we dove the Lowrance in the Pompano Beach area and we were blessed with a smoking current. Fortunately, the captain dropped us ahead of the current and let us free drop into the wreck. Also, since it's such a massive ship, we had plenty of places to hide from the current in. The lift bags were pulled directly horizontal when we deployed them from the deck of the wreck for the ride home, but we deployed them so early, because we wanted the captain to see us as soon as possible, because we knew we would be sailing pretty fast away from the wreck on the deco.

After we got on board, the captain informed us that by his calculations, we were diving in a 2 1/2 to 3 knot current!

Yesterday we dove the Lowrance in the Pompano Beach area and we were blessed with a smoking current. Fortunately, the captain dropped us ahead of the current and let us free drop into the wreck. Also, since it's such a massive ship, we had plenty of places to hide from the current in. The lift bags were pulled directly horizontal when we deployed them from the deck of the wreck for the ride home, but we deployed them so early, because we wanted the captain to see us as soon as possible, because we knew we would be sailing pretty fast away from the wreck on the deco.

After we got on board, the captain informed us that by his calculations, we were diving in a 2 1/2 to 3 knot current!

By comparison, the Lowrance is a 10 minute ride south of Hillsboro inlet..... when we (I) surfaced, we were a good 15 minutes north of the inlet...

Wow! The current has been hauling butt these last couple of days. I can't seem to find a current location for the Gulf Stream, but it has got to be very close. I think we might have had some pretty good water except for the sponges, which had an orgy. Seas were flat, water temps were 84-ish, and the vis was 50-60'. The current was running north-northwest at about 2 knots.

I found a cool looking hamlet that I haven't seen very often and took a few pictures of him. I had trouble identifying it, but eventually determined that it was a tan hamlet. It was noted in various websites that this hamlet is undescribed, so I'll go ahead and describe it... it is a tan, hamlet-shaped fish that lives in Aruba, the Virgin Islands, and now Florida.

Along with the undescribed hamlet, I found an undescribed grunt. He doesn't seem to have even a common name, so I think I'll call it the Gothic grunt. I'm not going to bother to describe it though, because there's a pretty good chance that it is extinct by now anyway.

smokingsponges.jpg
The sponges were ruining it for everyone again. Darned nature!

tanhamlet.jpg

The tan hamlet. They must have developed a keen ear, because this fish had, beyond any doubt, the ability to hear the operation of shutter button on my camera. He would pose beautifully, until he heard the button, and then he would show me his butt.

barredhamlet.jpg

Here's a barred hamlet, which seem to not hear as well as the tans.

gothicgrunt.jpg

The Gothic grunt. He may already be a gonner.

Loving the photos Kevin.... I miss diving with y'all!!!!

Awesome pics of the sailfin tang and the squid Kev!

Great pictures as always. Eric and I are booked on your boat for Sat a.m. I can't wait. I am over due for a good dive and I always enjoy the reefs up there. And of course you and your crew.
kim

Yup, current was a rippin'! Had been reading reports from the day before of the conditions so went there set up with my 60mm lens for a bit of versatility.
Thanks for the great time Kev & Alex.

Lil_Octo.jpg

Townsend_Angel1.jpg

High_Hat_Juvy.jpg

Juvie_Angel.jpg

Yup, current was a rippin'! Had been reading reports from the day before of the conditions so went there set up with my 60mm lens for a bit of versatility.
Thanks for the great time Kev & Alex.

Lil_Octo.jpg

Townsend_Angel1.jpg

High_Hat_Juvy.jpg

Juvie_Angel.jpg

Hey you got great pics! I'm not even putting any of mine up from yesterday.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom