2 flies on the ceiling...PANIC!!!!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great video. I had never seen this done. Anyone know of cons? it all looks good to me.
I started out with an AIR II as a new diver. I have since gone to an octo for better BC control in the event of an OOA emergency. I wasn't aware of this possibility. Very interesting.
The con that jumps out at me is the fact that you have to purchase another hose, and you're going to have to remove a working 2nd stage from your mouth in an emergency.

The main pro's in my mind are-
-You always know your OOA buddy gets a WORKING 2nd stage.
-Cleaner hose routing.
-Gives you some distance from a panic'ed diver.
-You can pass through single file restrictions (in the case of cave/wreck diving)
-You can donate much faster this way, since you don't have to fumble for the reg, unclip it, or unbungee it.

I have dived with a long hose, I do dive with a long hose, and I will dive with a long hose. I have dived it as my primary, I have dived it as my octo. I have dived with it behind my head, and I have dived with it bungied to my tank. Right now, I dive a 5 foot hose as my octo, because I find that configuration superior.

I know there are people who won't accept that for an answer. If I don't agree that their way is the best way, than I am accused of spreading misinformation. The next step is always the accusation that I haven't really tried it. But the fact is, having tried both, I don't just don't agree.

I could go into all the reasons that I find having my long hose on my octo superior, but as I said, I don't think we need to turn yet another thread that direction. I accept the fact that you, like many here, like diving with a long hose primary. I know you think that way is superior, and I wont accuse you of spreading misinformation because of your choices. All I ask is the same courtesy in return. Just as there are those in this thread who are critical of the "donate the octo" method, there are also those that are critical of the "wrap the hose under your canister and behind your neck" method, and s that doesn't make either camp liars, spreaders of misinformation, or ignorant.
I apologize for jumping to conclusions. Here's why I assumed that you hadn't used one.
One could also see this as an excellent example of why one shouldn't have their hoses wrapped under their equipment and coiled around their body. If the taking diver comes at you panicked and with saucer eyes, they may not wait for you to uncoil the hose and gently hand the reg to them.
Simply put, you're describing a problem that doesn't exist here. What you're describing is one of the main reasons divers breathe the hose they donate. When someone grabs a working reg from your mouth with the gear configuration we're talking about here, the system works as planned.

Excerpting...

The con that jumps out at me....
you're going to have to remove a working 2nd stage from your mouth in an emergency.
The part I don't like. It's fine for you who do, especially if you have been trained to - but not the universal method.

The main pro's in my mind are...
-Gives you some distance from a panic'ed diver.
Two sides to that. I like to hold the OOA diver's BC for the imminent ascent.

-You can pass through single file restrictions (in the case of cave/wreck diving)
Which would be the non-recreational situation for which the 7 ft hose idea evolved.

-You can donate much faster this way, since you don't have to fumble for the reg, unclip it, or unbungee it. Should never be a fumble or unclip scene for the recreational diver who wants to offer his alternate. Grab it. Unless you have the alternate bungeed where it cannot leave your body, in which case you are limited to donating the one that can.

LOL, here we go again! Boxcar plays himself off as such the long hose expert but every time he tries to make his case its painfully obvious that he has no clue how it actually works and that he has no actual experience with it IRL. :lotsalove:

Boxcar, some of us do s-drills at the start of every dive where we actually practice deploying the long hose, it's very easy to deploy. And the bungeed backup would've really helped the diver who got mugged for his primary, because the reg he needs to go to is literally right under this chin. These divers could be mentored in how to do s-drills, etc. in part of an afternoon.

We don't care how you setup your own regs, really we don't. But it would nice if you would refrain from spreading FUD about things you know nothing about.

This post is a prime example of why one can't get into a reasonable discussion on this subject. There's always those tacky and rude people that just won't let you have a normal discussion. It has to turn to personal attacks.

Oh, let's not do this again. We did the "donate the primary" argument with B.O. just a little while ago, and I think we all argued ourselves shrill and nobody changed positions. He likes the way he does it. I like the way I do, at least here, he isn't trying to list all the reasons why what I do won't work. Let it go.

Have you been reading this thread?
Yes, and I think your response was poorly worded and insulting. Did you read what you posted?

I have dived with a long hose, I do dive with a long hose, and I will dive with a long hose. I have dived it as my primary, I have dived it as my octo. I have dived with it behind my head, and I have dived with it bungied to my tank.
Thank you, Dr. Seuss.:)

I could go into all the reasons that I find having my long hose on my octo superior, but as I said, I don't think we need to turn yet another thread that direction. I accept the fact that you, like many here, like diving with a long hose primary. I know you think that way is superior, and I wont accuse you of spreading misinformation because of your choices. All I ask is the same courtesy in return.
You clearly have not afforded me the same courtesy.
EDIT: Sorry if I sounded too defensive in my response, UFC. If I had it to do over again, I would would have used a less aggressive tone. I'll try to watch that in the future. My apologies.
Wow, and you didn't happen to notice the venom you directed my way? Your statements are outrageous and inflammatory.

I have no trouble with someone who donates an octo. What I do have a problem with is the dichotomy with which you portray those that do choose to donate the primary.

As evidence...."donate the octo" versus "wrap the hose under your canister and behind your neck" which you clearly reworded from your original 'hoses wrapped under their equipment and coiled around their body"..........:no

This post is a prime example of why one can't get into a reasonable discussion on this subject. There's always those tacky and rude people that just won't let you have a normal discussion. It has to turn to personal attacks.
And yet your trolling seems to elicit the same response over and over from different people. :shrug: Think about it, at some point you have to wonder if its really you.

xxxxxxx

Last edited:
I think calling someone tacky and rude is a personal attack.:popcorn:

Im sure Boxcar was talking about me.As a cavediver I was trained,IMO,the best way to configure.By him using the phrase of a hose tucked under gear and wrapped around the body he dissagrees and thats fine.If he took a cavern course his mind might be changed but as he stated he has tried all configurations and came up with what he likes.Often these posts take off in different directions with different opinions.Its a forum!My feelings arent hurt if you dissagree.

I think calling someone tacky and rude is a personal attack.:popcorn:
In such cases, the TOS clearly requests the use of
qz51cm.jpg

rather than continuing and escalating.

Back
Top Bottom