Dive Key West

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello, i am planned a trip to Key West, and i was wondering if anybody has been on the charter " Dive Key West?" If you did can you please tell me how it was and what dive you went on.

Thank You,

Bret Nickley (floridadiver1)

Dive Key West is easily the most expensive dive op in KW esp. for trips that include rental gear. To be fair, most of the rental gear is in decent shape and they have quite a lot of it in addition to a nice boat. Their shop isn't convenient to the action on Duval St.

Subtropic is less expensive and they run a good operation, they are technically closer to the Duval craziness but not by a lot (you'll still need a car).

If it were me and I were staying at the Hyatt, etc. I'd definitely dive with Southpoint. Good op and convenient.

Another option is Captain's Corner but they are the budget KW dive op, not a lot of hand holding -- not that anyone is going to put a guide in the water with you unless you are paying extra for it.

These ops all go to the same reefs and couple of wrecks. That's really the issue.

For the Keys, I mostly dive in Key Largo and then spend my surface interval in Key West. If I have a day in the area that I can dive, I would be more likely to drive to Big Pine Key and go out to the reef at Looe Key. The reef is soooo much nicer and the vis is usually better than any dives KW has to offer.

YMMV, but probably not. :wink:

I agree with John. In Key West, there are much better options than Dive Key West.

If it were me and I were staying at the Hyatt, etc. I'd definitely dive with Southpoint. Good op and convenient.

I just got back from Key West and used SouthPoint. Awesome crew. Very Professional. I stayed in the La Concha on Duval and had no problem humping my gear on foot.

Posted via Mobile Device

I used Dive Key West two years ago, no complaints, good operation, and close to the Hyatt where we were staying.
Unfortunately if you need gear rental (which the one reason the high cost might be worth it), their shop is no where near the Hyatt. :(

I've also used Southpoint Divers, I dove with them for 2 days and stayed at the Southernmost Hotel. It's close to, and within walking distance to everything. The best dive site in Key West in my opinion is "9 Foot Pole Reef". It's in about 30-35 fsw and loaded with life. Just take your time and explore. The popular wreck dive, the name of which escapes me, was ok. It does have a pretty good size Loggerhead living on it though. But, I didn't see even one fish on that wreck which is unusual seeing that it's been down there for quite awhile. :confused:

The popular wreck dive, the name of which escapes me, was ok.
You are probably thinking of the Cayman Salvager. It lies in 60 - 100fsw. The Cayman was my very first salt water dive.

Last edited:
You are probably thinking of the Cayman Salvager. It lies in 60 - 100ftw. The Cayman was my very first salt water dive.

That's the one, thanks! Did you see any fish when you dove it? The crew told me that the fish stay back out of site when divers come and return when they leave. Don't know for sure if they were yanking my chain or not. :confused:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom