Dancing naked on Kaya Abraham

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have to say that we're not big shore diving fans, much prefer boat diving and liveaboards. However, after our recent 2 week visit to Bonaire, I can honestly say we're big Bonaire shore diving fans. So much so that we have already made reservations to return next year.

During our 2 weeks we never locked our car, left the windows open most of the time, never left anything of value in the car, and never had a problem. We felt totally safe on the island and never felt like we had to look over our shoulders, even at the more remote dive sites. I honestly couldn't say that about most Caribbean islands we've been to.

We were told a funny story about Bonaire's only bank robbery. Apparently some guys drove their cigarette boat over from Venezuela early one more, tied up at Town Pier, walked into town and robbed a bank. They hopped back into their boat and went back to Venezuela before the Bonaire police were able to respond. Considering that we saw like 2 cops in 2 weeks on the island, that wasn't a surprise to us and was rather funny.

Bonairetrip makes very good points about crime everywhere.

I've never been to Bonaire, and I almost wish I had never read any posts about Bonaire on this site, as it truly has me constantly bumping it to the bottom of my destination list. As DandyDon said, 'The situation on Bonaire with the you-drive-it and shore dives encourages the worst I have heard about.' That pretty much sums up what I have gotten from all the posts I have read here. Yes, I have read plenty of posts saying how wonderful it is there. But, from what I have observed, there is no other destination talked about on this forum that has as much theft problems as Bonaire :(

Well, I dunno. Just got back from Bonaire on Monday and quite honestly even if I did not get much diving done, I would go back for some R&R.

We parked the locked rental jeep downtown and went for a stroll (luggage in the back) and when we came back it was still untouched. The only thing we had with us were the laptops.

I saw two cops while I was there. One directing some kind of Colombian parade, the other one handling some kind of accident on a road.

Don

Didn't intend to start another "crime on Bonaire" thread. Just recounting amusing anecdotes. Part of the adventure and all that.

You can avoid the whole "somethin taken from the car issue" by only doing boat dives or diving from your resort. The dive boats visit most of the reefs - and some you can't get to from shore. Shore diving isn't for everyone.

I guess there is no crime in Mexico but when I went to Roatan the police stopped my cab to make sure *I* wasn't being stolen. Must not be much crime on liveaboards - but you have to get along with everyone else on the boat. You can never leave your all-incusive - but what fun is that. On Bonaire, visitors rent vehicles, leave their resort and park in remote places. Some don't even stay at resorts. Each place is different - and there are tradeoffs.

I honestly think the worst things you hear about Bonaire are second hand, (someone told someone that they had stuff stolen) or from people who have never been there (I do sympathize with the OP though). I went last year and loved it, I am going back again in 2 months. I had ZERO problems (with the exception of Air Jamaica...but that is a different story). I would like to echo what others have said, I live in Baltimore, and I get way more nervous walking around certain neighborhoods near my home than I ever did down there. And honestly people siphon gas, riffle though your car, and steal change in B-more too (i know you are all suprised by that factoid).

Paco II you are missing out if you only look at the negative aspects. For the money Bonaire is one of the best places I have been for diving.

Ripping apart the truck beds for the gas tank filler hose is a new one to me. Sounds like people are too lazy or stupid to siphon fuel. With spiking fuel prices in the US, there are now reports of geniuses drilling into plastic fuel tanks, especially in SUVs, to drain the fuel from below. $50.00 worth of gas; $600 to replace the fuel tank (those bastards).

Seems like the closer into town places are where the bad guys are at.

I think that there have been a limited number of incidents which are repeatedly reported and cited. I wish that anyone describing a theft would disclose the location. This might help warn others to avoid certain areas. It might even wise up the business owners, near where things happen, to make them more vigilant and/or demand better police protection.

Finally, what's the deal with the truck rental offices? Have they been moved away from the edge of the airport parking lot? Where were they moved to? Are the rental offices still within walking distance? I was in Bonaire April and it was the same as it had been.

You can avoid the whole "something taken from the car issue" by only doing boat dives or diving from your resort.

Heck, if you're gonna do that you might as well avoid Bonaire altogether!

Boat dives are OK if you wanna spend 4-5hrs doing only 2 dives at only the specific sites the boat is going to. And no-one's "house reef" is worth diving for a whole week.

Finally, what's the deal with the truck rental offices? Have they been moved away from the edge of the airport parking lot? Where were they moved to? Are the rental offices still within walking distance? I was in Bonaire April and it was the same as it had been.[/quote]

The truck rental office's are located at the Plaza Resort...to far to walk but they have shuttles.

I have set my first ever trip to Bonaire for this next summer. You know, there's bad everywhere along with the good. I live in Kuwait, and leave my Mercedes unlocked all the time, usually with my ipod or dive gear in it. Nobody would touch it. My house Never gets locked. I have stayed in some truly dodgy places throughout Asia, Europe, and Africa, and Never had any problems(knock wood). But. I come home, take the kids to DisneyWorld, and the maid steals my laptop.

You never can tell. Sometimes you have to chalk it up to one hell of a story. Come one, 3 tanks cut? Running him off in your underwear? That's a story! Chalk it up to life experiences like you have OP. Paco, if you stay in a safe super secure little world,,,,, you will miss a lot of great living.

ZenDiver, how right you are.

The OP and I were much more amused than irritated by the episode. Just one correction- there was no underwear..... just a T-shirt......

Back
Top Bottom