To dive or not to dive, that is the question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Heffey

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am seriously thinking about giving up diving.

I really enjoy diving but only in shallow waters ( 0-40ft ).

Unfortunately the vast majority of my diving opportunities are at depths greater than my comfort level. Because of this I only end up getting out diving a couple of times a year.

This lack of diving does not keep me properly tuned-up with my equipment and my skills. As a safety oriented person this concerns me greatly.

So, I guess in the end I am left with having to make some choices. Dive more at depths I don’t enjoy, dive solo at depths I do enjoy, or play it safe and don’t dive at all.

I am interested on your thoughts on this.

I think you need to resolve "why" it is you are uncomfortable at greater depths. Is it a training and skills question that could be handled with further training ? Or is it a deeper fear of the surface not being easily reachable by CESA ?

IMHO, anything that causes you fear and distress is not worth it. But you are the only one that knows "what" it is your afraid of.

I'm not familiar with the diving available near Toronto, so I don't understand why you don't have any opportunities for shallow dives. Your statement that you would have to do shallow dives solo suggests that there ARE shallow opportunities, but nobody else wants to do them? Perhaps what you need is a different set of buddies.

Why is that you cannot dive to shallow depths? Usually, you can do this just by entering the water from shore (instead of boat).

I would understand if you said you don't have access to deep waters (boat, costs, and so on). But shallow water is always accessible from the beach.

What am I missing?

Maybe you just need more time in the water to get comfortable before going deeper, then take it a little at a time.

If not, there's always golf.

You should head up to Tobermory, there are some great wreck dives ranging from 15' to 150' and beyond. Something for everyone, as long as it's a shipwreck. I personally am more than happy to do a 20' or 30' dive as long as there is something interesting to see :)

You could also take a deep course to better understand the dangers and precautions involved in deeper diving, it may help with some of your concerns.

I echo the advice of others. Find out why you don't want to go deeper and then see if you can slowly correct that. Failing that, pretty much all my dives have been to 50 feet or shallower and I've had some pretty amazing dives. I'm not sure what the diving is like in Ontario, but if you're willing to travel, you can probably find some shallow dive sites. :) I don't see why any buddy would not want to do a dive simply because it "wasn't deep enough"....as long as there's cool stuff to see, who cares what the depth is? Hell, if anything, a shallow dive is a plus since it's less cold and hydrostatic pressure isn't as much as it would be deeper so your air consumption is better...longer dives.

Thanks for the comments.

Yes, for sure I have some of issues with the deeper stuff. I think it is a little bit of claustrophobia. I am fine in tight spaces as long as I can get out when I want. I guess the deeper I go the more complicated it gets to leave when I want. I first thought it was the light level at greater depths but now I don’t think this is the case. I just completed my advanced course and my night dive at 45 feet in strong current was no problem. The 83 ft deep dive was ok but I was just putting in my time. The 92ft wreck was not good at all. Bobbing around in the navigation channel for 20 minutes waiting for the slowpoke divers had me a bit motion sick. Not a good way to start the dive. I considered aborting the dive once I was on the wreck but I managed to get through it.

As far as my lack of shallow dive opportunities, lets just say that I have yet to find a competent buddy who was interested in diving shallow. Everyone I run into seems to be into some kind of record setting mindset. Also, most of the charters I have looked into tend to focus on deeper, more challenging dives as their bread and butter dives.

On my vacations the resorts have offered the occasional shallow dive but the possibility of diving shallow is simply not available every day. I have yet to see a two-tank shallow dive opportunity ever.

Perhaps more diving is the answer to increasing my comfort level.

Maybe I have not searched deep enough for shallow dive opportunities.

Thanks again

Heffey,
Do you have dive clubs in Canada? If you do, have you perhaps considered joining one? Do you dive in Canada or just abroad?

As for buddies, good buddies will not mind diving shallow. I would not be diving today had it not been for buddies willing to dive with me at 4/5 metres. Shallow is where you hone the skills for deeper dives and more challenging environments.

I suspect in your case that some regular local divers would be better placed to help you out.

When I first started I also didn't like the deeper depths for reasons similar to what you stated. I felt like I was locked into the dive, and I couldn't come up when I wanted to, (in case I wanted to breath normal air again.) That sort of triggered a panic cycle. It just wasn't much fun.

I got through it by (1) telling myself that sense of anxiety was really just my body responding to how much exciting fun I was having. (2) trying to distract myself whenever those feeling started to creep in, and (3) I just kept diving every weekend until I got over it.

I think it's easier to beat your phobias if you dive regularly, if that is an option for you. But if not, this is just a silly hobby we do for fun. If you can't find a way to make it fun for you, it's alright to move on to something else.

Back
Top Bottom