Ooa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

needforspeed751

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
So I was diving with a small group in Saba about a while back and I encountered my first OOA situation, but it wasn't quite what I had expected.

It was a night dive and we were being transported to our dive site in a zodiac. Part way to the dive site my partner realized that his tank was leaking and he quickly changed it out and no one gave the matter further thought. We prepared to make our dive, checked our gear, and since everything appeared to be working perfectly we all got in the water. Soon as we were in some of the divers started complaining that they were being stung so we all quickly began our descent to get away from the offending jellyfish. We made our way down to about sixty feet to a wall that dropped off somewhere around 6000 ft or so. It was dark so as we swam along with the guide master I had my light trained on a hogfish as we continued to descend to 80 feet. Suddenly something large swam up to me and ripped my reg right out of my mouth. Needless to say I was shocked but I just grabbed my air2 and cleared it before realizing that my partner was in front of me telling me in no uncertain terms that he was out of air and wanted to surface. He was clearly rather panicked so I motioned to him to breath easy and grabbed his BC before motioning to the divemaster that we were heading up.

As it turned out we got to the surface and my buddy still had a tank full of air. He had only turned the valve about half way on however, and I suppose that the pressure at depth must have prevented him from taking a breath. The lesson I learned from this is to not take things for granted. Just because something works on the surface doesn't mean that it will continue to function properly at depth if there is soemthing slightly amiss at the surface. As such gear inspection should be as thorough as possible.

Sometimes you can pick that up by breathing the reg on the surface while watching your pressure gauge -- if it fluctuates, it indicates the valve isn't open very far.

Sometimes you can pick that up by breathing the reg on the surface while watching your pressure gauge -- if it fluctuates, it indicates the valve isn't open very far.

This is what I was trained to do when I did my OW ... after turning the tank on put your reg in and take a few breaths and watch for a pressure fluctuation, while checking your tank pressure.

First time I've noticed this here on the board. Deep, fairly rapid inhales while watching the SPG for fluctuation should be SOP for all dives. Thanks for mentioning it.

ummm, why did you not check your buddies set up before getting in the water? BWARF? (I know Big Women Are Really Fun)

First time I've noticed this here on the board. Deep, fairly rapid inhales while watching the SPG for fluctuation should be SOP for all dives. Thanks for mentioning it.

This will not always catch a valve that is only slightly open though.

It is not unknown for a diver to close an already open valve in error then crack it back (open) slightly. This will breathe O.K. on the surface but not at depth where more airflow is needed.

Two ways to fix this problem:

1) When opening a valve DO NOT close it back AT ALL. this way the valve is either full on (Breathes O.K.) or fully off (Will not give more than one breath even when pressurised)

2) Make sure you can reach your tank valve.If breathing gets difficult reach back and check the valve is open.

Valves that are only slightly open seems to be a fairly common problem.

I checked his equipment as did the dive instructor when she changed out his tank. I took a breath or two off his secondary and didnt see anything strange on his pressure gauge. The tank was pretty old and afterwards we saw that the cover on the handle was bent so it felt like it was all tv way open

So it turned out to be an equipment malfunction. I hope the dive op removed the tank from service until it could be repaired. I wonder why the dive instructor did not notice the bent handle? Any way, glad your buddy was safe.

I dive with one guy who is annoyingly slow. He double and triple checks everything. I need to be more like him.

Leftie loosie, last thing you do before putting on your buoyancy device. Get to know how it turns on, or loosens. Counterclockwise or to the left as you look at the valve. If you get into the habit of doing this with your buddy, that is, turning on your air together, all the way, then, quarter turn back, this will never happen. Bet it's not going to happen anyway, since this lesson was learned as a FREEBEE from Mr. Murphy. Say "Thanks Murf"

i think that could've been darwin at work, trying to get him to grow some gills. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom