Non-swimmer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JimLap:
Are standards so lax these days that this kind of stuff is even thought of.

Standards are so lax that this kind of stuff is not only thought of, it's done, fairly often.

I like to make the smart a.. comment all the time that you shouldn't get in a plane if you can't fly either.

But seriously, why a non swimmer wants to try and why this gets brought up baffles me.

so if this person who doesn't swim somehow manages to get certified by x,y or z agency, then he/she is on a dive and has to swim (key word being swim) to the boat or shore, what is it they would do? wobble? granted, you don't need to be an Olympic class swimmer, but you should at least know how to swim and be pretty darn comfortable in water (since when diving one is completely submerged in water)...

I was surprised to hear people say that PADI didn't have any swim requirements. We certified last year and had to swim and float. Looked it up and found:

quote:
Waterskills: Before completing the PADI Open Water Diver course, your instructor will have you demonstrate basic waterskill comfort by having you swim 200 metres/yards (or 300 metres/yards in mask, fins and snorkel). There is no time limit for this, and you may use any swimming strokes you want. You will also float and tread water for 10 minutes, again using any methods that you want.
What's Required

It's minimal but at least something... I hope all instructors would enforce it!

I'm a strong swimmer myself and think it added a lot to my comfort level with learning to dive. I definitely think your friend should put in some pool time if she plans on doing the dive!

Have a great (& safe) vacation!

Steph

Well, I think the point has been made (many times over) about what we feel the correct approach should be. In all fairness, maybe the poster doesn't understand (nor does the non-swimming friend) the importance of being able to swim beforehand. Instead of trashing standards and accusing the poster of being a troll how about answering the next logical question for him?
Why is a reasonable swim ability important before learning to dive?
Well, I would reason that the importance lies in the fact that the activity you are considering to undertake is only performed underwater. Swimming (by its true definition) is a fundamental activity in which a person's aquatic ability and water comfort can be measured to an accurate degree. And from this, as my observations have revealed, a person's experience in the learning realm of scuba is GREATLY enhanced. All the book knowledge and DVD viewing in the world will not make the person comfortable in water, this will only come with time actually spent in the water, which many of us believe, starts with swimming.

Look at his profile. If he does not understand the need to swim perhaps he does not need to be around water. Anyone who is going to be around, in or on water on a regular basis needs to know how to swim unless some disability prevents it. I feel so strongly about this that parents who allow their kids to go to public pools and don't get them swimming lessons are guily of child abuse. How may times do we see kids in the deep end 8,10, and even older hanging onto the sides for dear life. Then the lifeguards are expected to babysit them. Sorry. I assisted with a rescue at a pool during a company picnic 3 years ago. 9yr old boy was pulled from the bottom by a lifeguard. I assisted her in getting him onto the deck and then monitired vitals and kept the rubberneckers back while she got the water out of his lungs. Not sure how long he was under but the way his eyes looked when he did take the first breath made me want to punch the mother in the face. Oh he goes all the time but he does not know how to swim. Last I heard he made it but with some mild brain damage. No if you cannot swim go to the desert.

Scoober Divin' ? All you have to do is sink.

As a Navy veteran liked to point out to me, sinking is the easy part. It's the coming back up that's tricky. He was referring to ships, and the superiority of subs that they not only sank, but resurfaced.

The same applies to swimmers and divers. Sinking is easy, but it's a real bummer if you don't resurface afterwards.

:thinkingo

Anyone who is going to be around, in or on water on a regular basis needs to know how to swim unless some disability prevents it. I feel so strongly about this that parents who allow their kids to go to public pools and don't get them swimming lessons are guily of child abuse. How may times do we see kids in the deep end 8,10, and even older hanging onto the sides for dear life. Then the lifeguards are expected to babysit them. Sorry. I assisted with a rescue at a pool during a company picnic 3 years ago. 9yr old boy was pulled from the bottom by a lifeguard. I assisted her in getting him onto the deck and then monitired vitals and kept the rubberneckers back while she got the water out of his lungs. Not sure how long he was under but the way his eyes looked when he did take the first breath made me want to punch the mother in the face. Oh he goes all the time but he does not know how to swim. Last I heard he made it but with some mild brain damage. No if you cannot swim go to the desert.

wow...i can't believe there are parents who would do that to their kids! if they don't want to pay for private lessons, do what just about everyone else (including yours truly) did--have their kids learn to swim at the ymca. if i remember correctly (granted, this was a couple decades ago) the prices the y charges for teaching swim lessons are really low. my parents put me through the y program, even though my dad had been a lifeguard before, so that i could learn to swim in a program that had a systematic approach to swimming with decent standards and that also taught cpr/first aid. much love to the y! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom