Should Instructors be teaching with Air II (or similar) Alternates?

Instructing Open Water students with Air II-ish Alternates is Safe?

• Yes, there is no safety issue with Air II on an instructor.

Votes: 50 52.6%
  • Yes, if all the students have Air II as well.

Votes: 10 10.5%
  • No, but students with their own gear should be allowed to use their Air II's..

Votes: 18 18.9%
  • No, and even students should not have Air II's.

Votes: 17 17.9%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As with a few others, I try to demonstrate as many systems as possible between the confined water and open water scenarios. This includes Jackets, Back Inflates, BP/Ws, integrated weights, weight belts, Octo's, Air2's, and DIR configurations. I make it a point to discuss what is different and what they should be looking for.

If an instructor is so intimidated by variations, it is the student's loss. This also applies to completely conveying only the instructor's preferences. I will hazard a guess that a good DIR instructor will at least make their students aware of other possible configurations, to help their students deal with potential situations, including what inherent risks the specific configuration may carry with it.

And looking at 300bar's posting about those who insist that you're getting their Air2, that smacks of a diver who is too unsure of themselves to make a reg switch. I'd be looking for a new buddy. That diver is very likely either out of practice, or is fundamentally unsound.

I've resolved myself to the fact that in many of my ad hoc buddy match ups I will be essentially diving alone, except for a swimming alternate air source out there that may (or may not) be nearby if I have a catestrophic gear failure during a dive. But then again, I've always subscribed to the theory that I am ultimately responsible for my safety.

OK, that's my 2psi. Next?

I'll say that a variety of gear would be a good thing for new students to see. Only seeing the octo integrated to with the power inflator isn't as good as seeing it both ways.

When I dive my Scubapro BC, I have both the normal octo and the Air2. I figured if an air crazed OOA grabbed me, I'd have an air source to either side.

If it is possible to be taught to use it then it should be. Not all dive shops keep the Air II, but instructors should make students aware of them & how to correctly use it.
Imagine never seeing one, diving with a buddy who you have just met on the boat & run into difficulites. Accidents are hardly ever connected to just one problem as most can be solved simply. But running out of air & going to your buddy looking for his alternate which if been taught should be stored in a V shape around his chest, then suddenly finding its not there, infact there is not one. Panic would start to kick in. OK they should have done a buddy check, but I have seen buddy checks where poeple dive in without fins, or with there air turned off.
If everyone were taught to pass the primary (and I can see no reason why they should not be), then there would never be an issue of not being trained in standardized emergency procedures. It would be individual choice for your personal backup.

I voted on this one and found I was in the minority by a long shot. I won't teach with one. There are some skills in OW where I need to be able to get the primary or my octo back in my students mouth. To have to worry about spitting out my primary, jamming that into your mouth and then finding my air II, all while trying to handle the student's issue (whatever that may be) is multitasking to the extreme.

The shop I works for sells them. I offer it as an option, and I will go out of my way to demonstrate one if someone in the class has their gear configured that way. For teaching I have a longer hose on my octo with a full size, top of the line second stage. If you need air from me there will be no issue.

My wife's gear is configured with an airII (she bought it when we first started diving). She has since added an octo the the gear in addition to leaving the airII there.

Saving a hose on your gear is not worth the drawbacks. If you already have one, invest the $100 in a real octo and a clip to put it somewhere, your buddy some day may appreciate it.

When I am teaching I attach an extra side breather (Oceanic Omega II) on a hose that is just the length of my arm. It lives in my left hand and its purpose is to insert it in a student's mouth if I think the situation warrants it.

I don't think there is a safety issue when teaching with Air2 sources, but I do think that it may cause some confusion with students. I made sure that I bought the most commonly used gear at my LDS for this purpose specifically because I later will be doing my IDC.

I'm just a humble AI who dives with a Zeagle Octo +, but it seems to me that a student diver has enough to learn in a very short time without being confused by so many equipment options. Let him get his OW cert first, and then let him start learning about alternate setups. I subscribe to the KISS principle when dealing with OW students.

When I learned, my instructor had a safe second and I thought it was the coolest thing since sliced bread; it's probably why I have one now. It is perfectly adequate for me, and I breathe through it regularly. However, if I had to do it over again, I'm not so sure I'd buy one.

Ascents while using it are complicated by having to remove it from my mouth to dump air. I could probably pull the shoulder dump but the pull would be awkward and maybe not very effective. It would help considerably if my BC had a right-shoulder dump valve as some others do, but it doesn't.

When being used as a breathing air source, it restricts the ability to control buoyancy effectively.
Each component should do one job, and do it well, rather than two jobs with mediocrity.

I voted Yes, it's fine.

If you pick Air2's as the issue, then what's next? The typical diver will come in contact with them sooner or later anyway.

It should go without saying the instructor is (or should be) competent in the use of his gear regardless of what it is, and inform his students of common air share procedures, or at least suggest they go over it with new dive buddies as part of a pre-dive buddy check.

As for air2s, I currently have the Dive-Rite version of it; Rite-Source, on my rec rig, and while it's been more or less fine, it does breathe worse than my primary (especially at deeper depths), and started to free-flow earlier in the season. I had the reg serviced because of that (though it was due for service anyway), and asked them to check/lower the IP in case that was the culprit. They didn't find anything specific wrong with the reg, so who knows... It worked fine on the post-service dives, but I only did a handful of them before switching to doubles on which I use a regular backup, so I'm still on the fence about Rite-Source...

Well I must say this is very interesting to this point; most think Open Water classes are safe with the instructor outfitted with an integrated alternate. I also demonstrate as much different gear as is available to me, although some employers have a limited selection. Without an Air II display I verbally go over the "primary donation" and the need to practice ascents with new gear, not do it first time when you have to!

With Open Water students, many of whom are not that comfortable with water, I prefer to not have too many distractions for these first timers. At my IDC the CD actually trained us to get ahold of the student's BC while they did the mask purges, reg purges and free flow breathing, with our alternate in our right hand held practically under the chin of the student. Plug and purge was one of his motto's.

I had a hard time being that retentive all the way through the IE. In the real world I only have the reg in my hand for the students that need to see that; I only hold on to the BC for those that need to feel that; if the student is confident I will show my confidence by not hovering and holding. I feel that if you ever do have to plug and purge you will have to hold on to the student with the other hand immediately, and then quickly do some BC venting, so how would you get your alternate in your mouth. I guess if the bungee was the right length you could get it in your mouth with just your mouth, but how do you get the Air II in your mouth when both hands are busy?

I have never had to plug and purge but I have seen an instructor plug and purge. The student went to the surface but the instructor slowed the student down and forced some limited breathing/coughing with his alternate. It would have been much more difficult with him doing a no reg struggling emergency ascent. I hope I'm such a good instructor I never have such a two handed emergency, especially not deep enough to need significant venting of both BC's; but I'm not holding my breath.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom