Lake Wazee Trip report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CheddarChick

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Ah Finally. Haven't been diving since Feb. Snuck off for the weekend. With all the storms in Wi this year, it has been impossible to get away and not be flooded. We left early on Sat for a 3 hour drive to Wazee Lake in Black River Falls, WI. Got in the water at about 10:00 am. With a storm the night before the viz was the worst I have ever seen there. About 10-15' max at 25' Water temp above the thermocline was in the upper 60's, at 28' the temp dropped into the low 50's. Being a wuz I stayed above it the whole time. Hubby dropped down, but came back up quickly 'cuz I didn't follow. The first dive, 64 minutes was along the wall face, which was very empty of fish life. We returned to the fish cribs and found only a few bluegills. Surface interval over we went back in and followed the weed bed to the right at about 18' -20'. The entire Lake Wazee consists of Iron ore and quartz pieces interspersed with small areas of dead trees looming from different levels of the wall. It is so cool to swim through what years ago was a totally different landscape. As we swam along off in the murk, we could see bass hanging around watching. At one spot in the weeds we stopped and I turned over a couple of rocks looking for crawdaddys. Instantly we were surrounded by Bass. Average of 3-5 pounds, and a couple of whoppers that never did come close. Ahhhhhh inspiration hits, I took a small rocks and dragged it across another rock, making the sound of a rock slide. Wow! they came right in, I think looking for the crawdads or larve. They hung around with us for the whole dive! So cool!
wazeebass3.jpg

WazeeBass-01.jpg

The next morning we were in the water right away, Viz was much better, and I went right to the right side again. Made the rock noise in about 20' of water and like magic there they were. Looking for breakfast...
P7121640-01.jpg
. I think we stayed in the same area and played with them for 40 minutes. We then went back by the fish cribs and found walleye hiding inside.
walleye1.jpg

P7121695-01.jpg

Soooooo Glad to be back in the water, If you ever get the chance, Dive Wazee!
Stop at Wazee Sports to rent your gear and say Hi to Keith!!!

Very nice website Jim, Looks like fun bunch!!

I use an Olympus SP350, I have a love/hate relationship with it. I really need to get into the water more....

Wow, must have missed you somehow. MJ & I were at Wazee Saturday as well; did the north wall first and then Sherwood Forest after grilling out.

We were on the north site that has the long paved entrance to the water, not the shorter walk. Probably missed you by 50 yards.

Rats!!! Would loved to have seen you guys

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom