Hi, Everyone!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
New member, new dive student. :D Taking open water dives this weekend.

I'm a search and rescue K9 handler with a statewide volunteer group in Connecticut. As hard as it is to believe, dogs can find people underwater. Working from the bow of low boats they can pick up the scent of a drowning victim as it comes up and breaks the surface of the water.
Public Safety dive teams are more than willing to come out and do a recovery for us, but are hesitant to spend the time necessary to train the dogs to locate the subjects that they want to recover! So a few of our members are already certified divers, and a couple of us are training, and we will have our own divers to submerge and let the dogs find us. If they do a good job we surface and give them part of a hotdog!
See? You learned something today.... :eyebrow:

Welcome to Scuba Board, K0-Handler.

That is so interesting about Public Service using dogs to help recover victims in water. I am learning something from you.

...hotdogs are a good reward incentive.

Good luck on your OW dives this weekend. I'll give you hotdog when you're done :blinking:.

Welcome from sunny FLA! All the Best on your dives this weekend!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom