Black sea bass are back...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sam, I'm sure you remember the picture of Ron Merker with a large sea bass draped over the back of his roadster!

For those interesting in reading more about this incredible fish, I have written three columns on them over the last six years complete with pix (stills captured from video footage, not as nice and detailed as Scott's). Here are the links:

Star Thrower Educational Multimedia (S.T.E.M.) Dive Dry Column

The columns are free but in a shameless plug for one of my products, I'll also mention my ~45 minute DVD on the giant sea bass, which you can see by clicking on the link.

Sam, I'm sure you remember the picture of Ron Merker with a large sea bass draped over the back of his roadster!..."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Yep, sure do. I remember the event, the fish and the photo very well. One of the most popular BSB spear fishing photo of all times. Published all over the world.

It wasn't an exceptional fish about 180 to 200 but it was one of Ron's first BSB. It was speared at Goat harbor, Catalina Island when Ron was the deck hand on the world's first diving charter boat Mort Toggweiler's Moray. The gun was a Sampson, the point a Sampson 38.cal powerhead. The Roadster was a 1953 MG A.

The fish was eaten; the car sold; and Ron is still kick'en

Thanks for the info on the fish, Sam. Didn't realize it was one of Ron's first, and that it was just a "baby." Also the ID on the car... I remembered it as an MG but didn't know what year or model. I remember how much I wanted an MG TD when I was in high school... heck, even a VW bug would have been fun, but I settled for a '56 Ford that burned more oil than gas but only cost me $100.

As I recall that was Ron's first BSB. He was about 18-19.

Up to that time it was difficult to land a BSB. Herb Samson of Costa Mesa ( then called Goat Hill) developed a supper spear gun of the era called what else? a Samson. It was powered by three slings and was longer that the norm. He also developed the 38 cal. point impact point aka power head, a sort of a second stage of a rocket point which Ron also used and is visable in the picture.

I suspect that you recall the movie Ron projected in your basic class called "Any one for diving?" It has a snipet of him swimming back to the boat with the fish. It also has his girl friend now wife of almost 60 years scoping up and Abalone --her first.

My how time flys when you are having fun! or diving

Last edited:
Awesome photos, Scott!

Jennifer

Back
Top Bottom