sealing my mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SkipperJohn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Sorry, I dont know where to post this but I'm thinking you guys can help a newbe out.
I currently free dive. I sport a short moustache and a long while ago bought a tube of this stuff that was the consistency of Vaseline. It was meant to be put on facial hair to help a mask seal. I have not been able to find it. Does anyone know what I am talking about? Does anyone know where I can get some more?

Some people use http://www.123scuba.com/p-M11339.html or similar products. I have seen several used. I have also seen many divers use plain old Chapstick with just as much success as the "mask sealers". I have a mustache. I shave the area under my nose where the mask rest against my face and that helps alot. For the small amount of water that does get in, I just clear it. It is second nature and I don't even think about it. Does not really bother me at all. If you really want the goop..try gold old Chapstick.

I've seen it, but never saw the need. Sure my mask leaks a little, but clearing a mask is extremely easy.

Some people use Marine Sports Mask Seal: Scuba Gear and Diving Equipment or similar products. I have seen several used. I have also seen many divers use plain old Chapstick with just as much success as the "mask sealers". I have a mustache. I shave the area under my nose where the mask rest against my face and that helps alot. For the small amount of water that does get in, I just clear it. It is second nature and I don't even think about it. Does not really bother me at all. If you really want the goop..try gold old Chapstick.

that's the stuff I had. Thanks!

Sorry, I dont know where to post this but I'm thinking you guys can help a newbe out.
I currently free dive. I sport a short moustache and a long while ago bought a tube of this stuff that was the consistency of Vaseline. It was meant to be put on facial hair to help a mask seal. I have not been able to find it. Does anyone know what I am talking about? Does anyone know where I can get some more?

I use Trident Silicone Grease that comes in a small white plastic jar, and can be found at your LDS.

I shave the area under my nose where the mask rest against my face and that helps alot.

I tried sealers with limited success. Finally just bit the bullet and shaved about a quarter inch below my nose. No more leaking. No one noticed the shaved area except the DMs and they said "best thing you can do." After all, it's just hair and it will grow back in a week.

I personally think the biggest problem people have with a sealing mask is that they try it on without a reg in their mouth. Look at your face in a mirror without a reg in your mouth...then...put a reg in your mouth. Is your face the same???? Heck no. So dont expect a mask that sealed just fine without a reg in your mouth to seal properly.

As far as the stach or beard goes.....I too have both and all I do when I dive is just make sure that I have shaved just under the nose enough to get a good seal. Everyone is a little differently physically....but give it a try.

Facial fuzz means you're going to get a little water in your mask - not something that bothers me. On the upside, fogging doesn't bother me, either. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom