Download problems with 5D

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

justleesa

Neither here nor there
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm having some problems downloading photos directly from my 5D. I'm traveling and it is the first time I'm using my laptop for this.

I have Lightroom and the original Canon soft wear installed and am trying to down load via cable. The first two times I was successful. Now the computer says it does not recognize the camera. It won't show up in the windows explorer and nothing pops up anymore when I connect the two. I deleted and then reinstalled all the soft ware and still nada. Any suggestions?

When you attach the cable and turn the camera on is Windows detecting that a USB device has been attached? Usually you will hear a bell sound when the operating system sees the device. This normally happens independently of any device drivers. While the drivers may be needed to provide the full functionality of the Canon software, Windows should see the device without the driver. If Windows doesn't see the device attach:
check the cable connection, the connectors at the camera end are fragile
try using a different USB port
if you have access to another cable try swapping the cable

You might also want to get a memory card reader so you don't need the camera to download pictures. This way you're not using the cameras batteries to transfer pictures and you don't have your camera balanced on all the stuff on your computer desk.

the first two times it did, now it doesn't. Using the same cable a pop up now appears that says it does not recognize the device. I tried all 3 ports, still nothing. :(

I have a card reader, but it didn't make it into my suit case. Flying home tomorrow and I can go back to my usual routine. I will try a different cable when I get home though.

Nice camera Leesa. What housing?

Oh, get a Mac... :D

If you're getting a dialog box that says Windows doesn't recognize the device the cable and USB connection are probably okay. Normally at this point I would suspect the driver didn't load properly. Sometimes when you reinstall a driver, you need to de-install the original copy first.

I went out to Canon's web site to see if there were any information on this problem. One thing I found was a note stating that if the LCD display was on the camera would not communicate with the PC. I've never seen this matter in any other camera, but then I don't have a 5D.

Assuming you have restarted both the Camera and The Laptop, that often sorts things like that out.

Card Readers are cheap and so are CF Cards, if I was stuck I'd do one or both of those things.

Good Luck .... oh nice Camera

If you're getting a dialog box that says Windows doesn't recognize the device the cable and USB connection are probably okay. Normally at this point I would suspect the driver didn't load properly. Sometimes when you reinstall a driver, you need to de-install the original copy first.

OK, did that, and still nothing

I went out to Canon's web site to see if there were any information on this problem. One thing I found was a note stating that if the LCD display was on the camera would not communicate with the PC. I've never seen this matter in any other camera, but then I don't have a 5D.

Right, it won't. The screen is only on to view - no live view. Thanks for looking it up for me :D

Assuming you have restarted both the Camera and The Laptop, that often sorts things like that out.

didn't sort things out :(

Card Readers are cheap and so are CF Cards, if I was stuck I'd do one or both of those things.

Yeah, could buy a reader - but I'm going home tomorrow and can download there easily. I have plenty of cards - just wanted to share the pics NOW :D:blinking:

Good Luck .... oh nice Camera

Thank you :blinking:

if it's not that late (i.e. you're not back home already), go to the canon support page and download and reinstall the latest EOS utility. that should reinstall the USB drivers I suspect.

Canon EOS 5D Digital SLR

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom