Let's start a dive report thread, thread!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SoCalAngel

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
OK, reading others dive reports is just cool to me... It's something the SOCAL forum used to do more of, but we know they aren't as hard core divers as the NorCal folks are...

So here's the basics... what are you experiencing out there???

Use the basic format

Dive Site:
Date:
Conditions:
Water Temp:
Visibility:
Dive Buddys:
Comments:

Dive Site: Hahaha... oh two awesome dives, off a friends boat, in Pt. Lobos!!!!!!
Date: July 6, 2008
Conditions: WOW!!!!
Water Temp: 48 - 50F
Air Temp: 70-75F
Waves: huh??? what are those???
Surge: None. Keinen. Nil. Zip. Nada.
Swell: yup, was real swell day, er, uh, I mean there was a slight 4-6 ft swell today :D
Water Temp: 48 - 50F
Air Temp: 70-75F
VIS: 50 + feet - would'a been 80+ if the sun had ever come out from behind the smoke and fog!!!! :(

Dive Buddys: Dannobee, DocWong, Tom M.

Dive site 1: Thumb's UP

Dropped down into crystal Blue water. If only the sun weren't so shy! Saw 2 BIG sandieganisisisisis (sp?) and a big rosy flower of eggs nearby. Then a lingcod slowly goes by , with those huge teeth jutting out, acting all " phhaaawww, I can so take you on!" AS IF! Lots of bull kelp and pink, blue, and purple hydrocorals abounded everywhere. more sandieganisisis, and a herrmissinda, then a lemon peel, and a nobilis... wow... the color of the strawberry corynactis, and then some pink-mouthed hydroids. I so love the pretty hydroids. as pretty as they are, it's another good reason to wear gloves in the frigid, er, uh, temperate waters of Cally!

Meandering along the pinnacles and peaks of Thumb's Up, I came accross a black n yellow rockfish. We have this real intimate moment, me hanging upside down, water trickling into my mask, he/she just inches from my face. Checking me out. I am checking it's deep misty Blue eyes out. taking each other in. I so love it when I get to see fish face, instead of fishy behinds, don't you??

Ok... getting down to 800 psi, so to the anchor and up. At 15 fsw, I wish I HAD put that other 2 pounder in my pocket before I dropped.... <sigh> Still hold onto the line. look up towards the surface on my safety stop... kelp dark against the waterry surface... me blowing bubble rings...

ok, about an hour and a half... eat some fruit and yogurt, move boat....

dive #2 - South-west side Blue Fish Cove

OK, more blue water, but more fog has rolled in, or was it smoke? So even less natural light... a little murky, but still over 50 feet of vis... hee hee!!!!!!

DocWong and I drop into one of my favorite dive spots up here! Spot a dozen or so hermissindas... some egg roses, but no obvious mates...a Sheephead bigger than any of the 6 "Oscars" at Cat park. Up here they are called "Victor"... ROFL.. oh, saw Victor again, but this time, about 6 inches longer, and some scraps on his right flank... <giggling>

Lots more small invert life like at thumb's up, but there are FISH... lots of fish... ok, maybe not tons, but definately a dozen dozen! (So sad they fished the heck out of this area)

Spot another Lingcod, different color, but same attitude. Sometimes, they are so frickin arrogant, I wish I WAS a spearfisher! they seem to be such easy prey... that's what happend when you have big attitude, right?

OK, two super cool things on this dive. At the beginning of it, I spot an inch long free swimming scallop sucking in water through it's yellow and black mantle/eyeballs. It was on top of a red algae lettuce leaf. I picked the algae leaf with the scallop on top and took it to my buddy. We gently urge the scallop off the leaf, and watch it do it's clapper dance through the water horizontally in the water column. Then, it stops and starts to freefall down towards the reef. I scopp under it, trying to get it to freeswim some more, but it seems really pooped out. So I set it back down onto the reef and bid adiu...

At the end of the dive, we make our way over reef and through kelp back to the anchor line. We check the anchor to ensure it will be easily pullable, when I notice a bouy around it, about 15 feet up from the anchor itself, around the line, close to the chain. I think to myself, "I don't remember Tom having a bouy around the line?" I move closer, and am astonished when I see it is actually a giant gumbo chiton, wrapped around the line. I pick it up, hunting for the edges of it. I try to pull it off the line. It won't budge. I finally lock the darn thing in my knees and start prying it open... <errrrgggghhhhhh> finally, it allows itself to be unwrapped from the line. As soon as I have it off the line, the darn things goes back into ball mode. Now, instead of a bouy, it looks like a football. I am tempted to "throw" it to doc but instead place it on the reef. Then we head up the anchor line... back to reality ...

<sigh>

Live to Dive and Dive to Live!
o o o o o o
o o o o
o o
. .
U
Laurel

Dive Site: Pepper's Ferry, New River, Radford,Va.
Date:7/2/08
Conditions: Calm, sunny, low output from dam
Water Temp: 73 avg at bottom
Visibility: 5-7ft
Dive Buddys: Vanessa
Comments: Tailing along just getting wet with my girlfriend on her cert dives. My first fresh water dive. What a difference! Very low viz. Great smallmouths, lots of big ol' crayfish to play around with (they dont play nice!!) Avg depths about 30 ft. Cant wait to get back out there and check out more and learn the layout of the site.

Tuesday, 7-08 Pt. Lobos Canery pt. Green, vis was 30' (15' on the left and 15' looking right...total 30')Glad buddy had a powerful light. On 7-05 North Monastery was nice and blue no light needed.

I belong to a club back home called Desert Divers of Idaho. Here's how we usually do our reports there:

Date: 8 July 2008
Divers: Dave & Kathy Washburn
Conditions: sunny & warm, a little wind
Water temp: 51 at depth
Time in: 2:17 PM PDT
Duration: 60 minutes
Max depth: 49 feet
Visibility: soup

(Ordinarily the viz would be expressed in feet.) We followed the pipeline out to the field like we usually do. There was a sharp thermocline at about 30 feet, which we have been noticing at various places around the bay for a couple of weeks now. The temp was about 57 above it, and BOY could we feel the sharp change in temp. The problem was, the viz didn't improve appreciably below it like it usually does. It went from about 5 feet to maybe 15 feet. At the end of the pipe we found the first buffalo sculpin we've seen in Monterey. The amazing thing was, he was *maybe* an inch long and barely visible. We went on out to the rocks and explored there for a while, checking out the various nudibranchs and the nice school of blue rockfish that lives there. Unfortunately, Kathy was having air troubles, so we had to turn around fairly quickly. Just as we got ready to go find the pipe and head back in, my computer quit. A couple of days ago I put a console boot back on my SPG so I would have a backup depth gauge, but when I checked it after the computer quit I discovered the depth gauge was flooded and not working. So now I'm out here, my wife is trying to run low on air, and I have no way to tell how deep we are. We navigated to the pipe and started more or less sprinting back toward shore, stopping long enough to check out a Hilton's aeolid and a bright orange umbrella crab. Kathy's computer was working and she clocked our safety stop, then when we got to about 6 feet and she was down to 400 psi we surfaced. The tide was coming in, so we rode the waves up to shore, which was a lot of fun in itself.

All in all, this dive was a little disappointing for the viz and lack of critters. But we got wet and came back safe, so we'll take it!

Dave

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom