9 July Lake Rawlings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChainSaw0069

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Myself and a couple friends are going to Lake Rawlings on the 9th. I wanted to see if anyone else was going to be there or would like to meet up. Im hoping to drive down Tues afternoon and pitch a tent.

I've been looking at this site and have yet to dive it. Please fill me in with temps and viz as well as how well you liked it.

I have dove here several times. There are several boats and buses sunk here that you can go see. They have also added an airplane over the winter. There are other items in the water to see also. Vis can be really great here. At times it can get stirred up in spots depending on how many open water classes are going on. Will report more when I return.

Please report back the water temps :)

Good trip. We left yesterday and it seemed that it would be doom and gloom. Half hour past Virginia Beach we came across a really bad storm. Rained most of the way to Rawlings. By the time we arrived the storms were gone. Pitched a couple tents, set up the fire ring and went to dinner. After dinner we were able to get a 40 minute night dive in before enjoying a campfire. Today we got 3 good dives in. Made it to the plane both buses and several of the boats, not all in the same dive. Water temp was around 82 degrees surface to about 35 ft where you hit the thermocline. The thermocline was cool but nothing really bad. Except at the plane, approx. 50ft. It was brrrr cold there. I was diving a 3mil wetsuit. One of my buddies had a 7 mil on and mad out better but still got chilly there. We left about 2 this afternoon with plans to return in a few weeks.

Back
Top Bottom