Handset Magnets

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

saturated

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi guys,

My handset magnets are corroding pretty quickly. I just replaced them, lubed them up and already getting some corrosion. I currently take them apart clean and lube them after every weekend. I generally dive 1 or 2 nights a week as well. Any suggestions, It just seems to have began about a month or two ago.

saturated once bubbled...
Hi guys,

My handset magnets are corroding pretty quickly. I just replaced them, lubed them up and already getting some corrosion. I currently take them apart clean and lube them after every weekend. I generally dive 1 or 2 nights a week as well. Any suggestions, It just seems to have began about a month or two ago.

I put some clear nail polish on the stock unit I use.. no corrosion at all...

padiscubapro once bubbled...

I put some clear nail polish on the stock unit I use.. no corrosion at all...

Where exactly do you apply the nail polish? Onto the magnets?

Ralf

Tanguero once bubbled...

Where exactly do you apply the nail polish? Onto the magnets?

Ralf

yes, the buttons come out and they can be sealed with nail polish, make sure its not too thick otherwise it may impede the movement of the switches...

It is VERY important that the right slider return to the at rest position otherwise if its still engaged and you try to do a setpoint switch (center button) you will shut the handset off..

This is obviously a fault on the units thats been here since the beginning and has never been rectified.

Attached is a picture of my handset switches after only 70 hours (4 months) use. :(

I would have thought its not rocket science to fix this issue at the factory either with thicker/better plating or a change in material.

Kinda fun trying to adjust the setpoint wearing gloves with the switch sticking! :D

My Inspiration is only 6 weeks old with 24 dives on it and and the inside of the handsets still appear new.

We were told in class to flush out the handsets while working the buttons after every day of diving. I also dunk the entire unit in clean water for a while after a dive trip.

KentCe once bubbled...
My Inspiration is only 6 weeks old with 24 dives on it and and the inside of the handsets still appear new.

We were told in class to flush out the handsets while working the buttons after every day of diving. I also dunk the entire unit in clean water for a while after a dive trip.

Yep I always do that as well. Full submerge after every dive and slide the switches.

Maybe the two rusting switches get used more than the other one.

:confused:

Mines a march 99 unit, and the I'm a terror for never washing the thing after a dive half the time (want to go to bed, normally have a plane to catch early the next morning)

My units have a little discolouration but nowhere near as bad and have never stuck!!!. I do spray a little silicon spray in there accasionally though

I have heard that the best way to do it, is to clean the magnets and then nail polish them

Back
Top Bottom