Banana drama

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is the paying customer owed no courtesy?

That's exactly what I was thinking. I'm not opposed to the idea of having to obey the rules of the skipper but surely then I should be made aware of same before I embark on the vessel. If I am on a vessel and starts eating my banana, not having known that it is a taboo on this particular boat, I would have been quite happy to toss it overboard if the skipper asked me to (in honouring his tradition). But if he yanks it out of my hand and throws it overboard I'm afraid we're way beyond courtesy.

OK, I won't go sue him or bring charges of theft or whatever. I will however think twice before using his services again and certainly not recommend his services to anyone else - not even to mention that he can forget to get any tip out of me.

The bananna incident took place in Western Australia, I have been diving for 12 years and it happened exactly as I described it much to my own disbelief

The bananna incident took place in Western Australia, I have been diving for 12 years and it happened exactly as I described it much to my own disbelief
Ah, you filled in your profile, thanks. I'd be clueless about local customs there, but you'd never heard of it huh? Maybe it'd more common over here?

Yeah, his handling of the situation was silly. Respecting the tradition is one thing, but that is a bit much. TY for the info.

Never heard of a banana superstition before, I wonder how Fyffes used to manage - what with losing so many ships as a result:wink:. I've just come back from a liveaboard where bananas were in the fruit bowl everyday, so it seems to be a local custom to deem them back luck.

However, take my banana and throw it overboard with a wink and a smile and I'd take it as a joke. Take my banana and throw it over the side in all seriousness and you wouldn't be getting my business again - not because of a banana- but because I try to avoid doing business with overtly superstitious people. I wouldn't use a boat where the skipper/crew prayed (to whatever deity) publicly before diving and expected me or anyone else to join in. Irrational in the small things often means irrational in the big things too.

Anyway, forcible removal of my banana would certainly result in bad luck aboard the boat - probably a blocked head discovered later that day, once I'd disembarked:D

Wow, was this an informative thread. I have NEVER heard of this banana thing. I have never had a problem on boats, and I often eat 1-2 bananas as my SIT lunch. Now if a captain was to have a problem with half of my lunch, and had not informed me BEFOREHAND that bananas are forbidden, I would very much expect him/her to politely offer me a replacement lunch item before expecting me to toss my bananas overboard.

What a cocky attitude to expect that stupid people like myself would know about boating traditions like this. I really do not. I would be happy to oblige to such an easy rule if I am informed. I would be really pissed to dive hungry though or if someone took something of mine. I don't eat much when diving but I am one of those who need no nibble a little to keep my energy and enjoyment level up.

No bananas, No Women, No Fruits, No bananas, No Woman, No fruits! If this is the cry of the charter boat industry they are in big trouble along with the rising price of fuel and air travel! This is a bad sign and the Mojo could fore tail bad thing ahead, they could even sail off the edge! :dork2::shakehead::popcorn:

Absolutely ridiculous, I fish and dive frequently and fisherman are even more superstitous about the whole banana thing. I don't get on boats w/out a banana, I love waiting until the first fish is boated to produce a banana and laugh at the superstitous idiots.

No bananas, No Women, No Fruits, No bananas, No Woman, No fruits! If this is the cry of the charter boat industry they are in big trouble along with the rising price of fuel and air travel! This is a bad sign and the Mojo could fore tail bad thing ahead, they could even sail off the edge! :dork2::shakehead::popcorn:
I think you're the only one who has mentioned women. What is with that....?

I think you're the only one who has mentioned women. What is with that....?

Actually, Nemrod brought up the 'women aboard vessels' superstition also.

As for me, I don't consider this silly banana mess a 'tradition'. In my opinion, it just a silly reason for people who consider themselves 'nautical' to try and act superior to others. IF I ever get on a boat where the Captain makes a big todo over someone with bananas, then I will not use that boat again.

If you come out on my boat with bananas, please bring enough for everyone.

Can anyone confirm that the pomegranate is indeed bad luck on the subway? Please, no anecdotal stories, just the facts! Just kidding....back to the "Plight of the Banana". :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom