Need advice - Get OW cert now or wait?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UPDATE: I finally signed up for a course that starts 3 weeks from tomorrow (though obviously I wish it were starting tomorrow), and though I've had to wait, as far as my wallet and schedule are concerned, this is probably best as I'll a) have the spare cash to actually pay for the course and b) have more time to be able to read/watch/study the material.

I've taken a peak at the manual and dvd (not in too much rush yet, since I have 3 weeks to read the first chapter and watch the first section of the dvd) and I've noticed that padi is really into shameless self-promotion, and after seeing some of the comments about them here on SB, some of the statements seem kinda comical even though they're not meant to be. Maybe my opinion of them has been skewed but as far as I've seen, they're the only agency around here.

I'm looking forward to getting my mask, snorkel and boots (got 30 year old jet fins in my basement) probably late next week as Tuesday is a holiday here. I think then it'll start sinking in that I'm actually doing this. Finally. yay. :D:D:D

Work, family, communtiy, illness, recuperation, life, all conspire to keep you from doing what you would like to accomplish or what you need to do for yourself. You got the chance, do it!

UPDATE: ...I've taken a peak at the manual and dvd (not in too much rush yet, since I have 3 weeks to read the first chapter and watch the first section of the dvd) and I've noticed that padi is really into shameless self-promotion, and after seeing some of the comments about them here on SB, some of the statements seem kinda comical even though they're not meant to be. Maybe my opinion of them has been skewed but as far as I've seen, they're the only agency around here....

It is the instructor that makes all the difference, not the association he/she teaches under.

I agree with the "sales" aspect with PADI, but cannot comment on how much of that is there with NAUI, etc. My original OW training was with PADI (in 1976). I don't remember nearly as much "self promotion" back then... but PADI was pretty new then, or maybe that's just my age and faulty memory showing.

My guess would be that it is similar with the other associations. That's just the nature of the dive industry. My kids just completed PADI OW and AOW last year, and I helped them study, and helped out on the dives as an unofficial dive master, so I'm somewhat familiar with the current PADI OW curriculum (and for fun my wife and I took the AOW class with the the kids a few months later). Anyhow, the basic material in the current PADI manual, combined with a good instructor, will give you a solid foundation to build on. From there, it is all up to you which direction you take in your diving career!

Have Fun!

Absolutely get it done and enjoy it! Once your licensed, it doesn't matter if you don't dive for a while, you can 'refresh' later with an instructor if you need to. Once you have your license the 'hard' bit's done and you're free!

As for PADI (can't comment on others) - yes, the videos are funny sometimes, but that's the point - FUN - you remember it, the PADI system definately works and really makes things so simple.

Nice one - It's a VERY good idea to read the relevent chapters and do the quizzes before each lesson.

You'll have a great time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom